Water meter reg question. Help please oh wise ones.

• 17 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
A water meter was fitted eight inches away from the gas stand pipe, it's so close that the cooker cannot go right back to the wall.  :roll:  

Are there any regulations regarding the placement of a water meter?  I ask because the water company want silly money to move it.  

Tried googling, tried contacting the water company and now I am asking you for help.  Anyone have a clue please?
Cheese makes everything better.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:21 »
When was it fitted Ice?  If its been done recently, then they should move it with no charge because they put it in the wrong place!

Stupid idiots!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 15:05 »
It's fairly recent GA and it was here when I moved in.  But, unless there are specific regulations I can quote at them I think they will refuse to move it for free.  

Where they have sited it is idiotic beyond belief. :roll:

commerlad

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 16:11 »
Hi Ice

What type of water meter is it please, (Post Pic would help) There are not any legal requirements as to there placing that I know of but the manufacturers state certain restrictions on there fitting so as not to cause damage to the meter or to interfere with its operation. (Proximity to heat sources / alongside mains cables etc)

Check my profile for source. The state that some of them come back in for verification is appalling!
Sometimes I think laterally but then I have to get up!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 17:03 »
Can certified plumbers move them or does it have to be water company themselves ?

I only ask because the corgi plumber we used was certified to mess around with the gas meter and charged about 10% of their cost.

Rob

commerlad

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 17:16 »
You do not need to be Corgi registered to move water pipes (Corgi is for gas and anything to do with such by law now has to be done by someone deemed to be competent to do so) The problem is which water pipes you can move . The legal position is that until the delivery side of the meter the pipework belongs to the water authority responsible for that area (Allthough they still bill you if the problem is on your land) only after the meter can any tom dick harry or herbert with a wrench and blowtorch move them about.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 17:22 »
Quote from: "commerlad"
You do not need to be Corgi registered to move water pipes (Corgi is for gas and anything to do with such by law now has to be done by someone deemed to be competent to do so)

Yes I know commerlad  :lol:

What I meant was. Our corgi bloke was certified to install gas meters. Is there an equivalent for normal plumbing ? ie. Can plumbers get certified to play with the company plumbign and meters ?
I just wondered if would be cheaper to ring round a few and get a quote for any that can do it.
I thought most modern installations had the meter in the pavement ?
Our is in the kitchen because the old lady who was here previously insisted on it apparently.
I'd have it shifted if it was allowed. Had to plumb round it which was a pain.

Rob  8)

commerlad

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 17:34 »
Yes commonly called Green Card but only issued by water authority so you are still stuck!

commerlad

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 17:39 »
And yes some meters are fitted in boundary box unit at edge of pavement with stop tap but some are now internal fit only (Thats why I asked for the Pic). I test meters for accuracy most days of week as part of my job (alongside Trading Standards as we also make for our own company use)

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 17:51 »
They've got us all stitched good and proper  :(

I knew a bloke who did tech drawings for a company making water meters round Sheffield area but don't know name of company.

Rob

commerlad

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 18:46 »
Could it have been Fusion Meters, Now Severn Trent Metering Services

commerlad

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 18:49 »
PPS Was his name Derrick or Steve perchance.

and check where Creswell is on a map.

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 21:26 »
His name was derek.

I know exactly where cresswell is !!  :wink:  (been there a couple of times)  :)

I think he worked on the Sheepbridge estate North of chesterfield off the A61, but I could be wrong.

It's been a few years since I was up that way.

Rob  8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 22:30 »
I've jsut ahd another thought Ice.  When we moved to this house, we had 2 wagter meters!  Yes, 2!!!  One in the kitchen for indoors and one on the side wall for the outdoor tap!

Well, we paid a standing charge to the water company, and usually we were in credit, so one day I called them and said tht as we had lots of creit on the main meter but owed them on the other one, instead of paying them that month, they could take the credit off one and use it to pay the other one!  they said you can't do that, so we got the credit back from them and paid the other bit with it!!  Stupid I know, but then Brian called them and said why do we have to have 2 meters?  You don't they said, we can arrange to come and take the other one out.  That's okay Brian said, I'm a plumber (?????) I can do it!  You're not supposed to they said, but let him take it out, then when they missed us a couple of times, Brian said to the meter reader, why can't we have the meter outside?  and he said no problems here, I can arrange it and it will save me knocking on your dor, I can read it anytime!

so within weeks, we had a new water meter just inside the gate, and it didn't cost us a penny, and its a new meter!!!

You could try it!  Tell them it is very inconvenient where it is and you'd like it moved for nothing!  If they say they have to charge you, tell them you'll move water companies!!!!  We hate these little hitler companies, we had the same prlblem with the electric, there were 2 meters here, one for the electric and one for the storage heaters, after being here for 14 months, we got a HUGE leccy bill for about £1500, no way, when iI looked, £700 was for the storage heaters, but Brian had removed them the day after we moved in and we were using the woodburner for heat as it took him a while to put the central heating in!

We had terrible squabbles with Powergen, but they eventually made out the new bill for £187!!!!!  I'll give Brian that, once he gets the bit in his teeth, there's no stopping him!

commerlad

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 07:11 »
Hi Poultrygeist

It is on Sheepbridge Estate and just North of Chesterfield so now you know where I work as well.

Were you sightseeing at the Crags ( Its about the only reason anybody comes here?)

xx
Well water

Started by Balaton Ben on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 21:25
by Balaton Ben
xx
water butt lid

Started by andyf75 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 16:58
by Annen
xx
Help with water butt

Started by wizzywig27 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:45
by compostqueen
xx
Water magic

Started by DIGGER on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2017, 22:24
by grinling

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.