Prefered feed?

• 15 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Prefered feed?
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:52 »
Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences on feed? I'd like to feed my chucks on good food which will keep them healthy and happy! (organic of course)

There are lots out there so any suggestions would be very welcome!!

Thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Prefered feed?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23 »
If they are for egg laying birds then pellets or mash, I prefer pellets personally they have everything a hen needs, plenty of fresh water, and they like greens too, I give mine a handful of corn late on in the day, keeps them warm in the winter. Also will need access to grit and ground oyster shell.

Have a look at Muntjacs article on keeping chickens well worth a read LINKY
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bodger

Prefered feed?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:47 »
Organic Mick ? Be prepared to pay through the eyes and nose then, the 'ordinary stuff' is expensive enough. :shock:

compostqueen

Prefered feed?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 13:03 »
you can give them your home grown veg too Mick, plus if you've not many hens, the organic feed doesn't work out that dear. Mine cost £3 a bag more. Admitted it would be a dear do if you were keeping flocks of them but you aren't.  Are you  :shock:   :lol:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Prefered feed?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 14:26 »
Nope...no flocks for me....3 girls....to start with  :wink:

so a few quid extra won't hit me too hard, worth it to be organic I think? Think what I was asking about was specific 'brands' I guess? i.e. are there poorer quality feeds as well as better quality feeds?

Thanks for the link I'm gonna go read and digest it right now!!  :D

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Prefered feed?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 16:44 »
If you want the best then I would go for Allen & Page Smallholder or Organic, after that probably Marriages, then Dodson & Horrell, Spillers then Countrywide, BOCM etc.

Kate and her Ducks

Prefered feed?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 16:45 »
Allen and Page do organic feed and it is about £3 dearer than their equivqualent non-organic feed. Their smallholder range is what I use (mainly as I can't find organic duck feed). It has all the good things - non-GM, no chemical solvents, no animal products, no medications or artificial yolk colourents but not organicly grown grain etc.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

Prefered feed?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 17:29 »
I use the smallholder range too. The super mixed corn is good as contains grit and oyster shell :D

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Prefered feed?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 18:17 »
my girls love the super mixed corn but hate the organic one, they point blank refuse to eat it :roll:
Katt

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Prefered feed?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 19:27 »
I've tried lots and the smallholder range is the one my girls scoff down so thats the one I buy!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Prefered feed?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 20:55 »
Katt got me into Bokashi Empowered Layers Mash from Wiggly Wigglers ...

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundproduct.lasso?product_id=474&-session=shopper:5214FEBD115c432198SiT19499CA

I guess you'll all tell me it's expensive and I admit my girls are getting through it pretty swiftly because they absolutely love it.  They never ate the pellets as eagerly as they eat this stuff.

And it's really good for them.  I'm not convinced on the poo smelling better but it doesn't smell any worse either!  :?  :roll:  :wink:

mumsy

Prefered feed?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 22:13 »
I saw organic layers pellets today in a garden centre £12.99 :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
With chicks next to it for £10 each!! 0r 5 for £40

Foxy

Prefered feed?
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/foundproduct.lasso?product_id=474&-session=shopper:5214FEBD115c432198SiT19499CA

I guess you'll all tell me it's expensive and I admit my girls are getting through it pretty swiftly because they absolutely love it.  They never ate the pellets as eagerly as they eat this stuff.

And it's really good for them.  I'm not convinced on the poo smelling better but it doesn't smell any worse either!  :?  :roll:  :wink:

dunno about that bio stuff.....costs twice as much as my layers pellets! :shock:  :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Prefered feed?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 12:05 »
Quote from: "mumsy"

With chicks next to it for £10 each!! 0r 5 for £40

In our local paper there's an add for pure bred chicks £20 each at day old

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Prefered feed?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 12:33 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"

it is more expensive but I think its great and I only have a few hens so not too bad, if I had loads then it would work out expensive :D

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
Where do you keep your feed?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 15:01
by joyfull

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 37 queries.