The Triffid Problem

• 7 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
The Triffid Problem
« on: April 23, 2006, 23:03 »
I'm not sure what to do about my pumpkin seedlings. I planted the seeds in 3inch peat pots and now it has two HUGE seed leaves and the beginnings of a fuzzy true leaf in the middle... the leaves extend slightly beyond the edges of the pot and there's roots coming out of the bottom like crazy... Is it too soon to plant it out?? I think this week is our last risk of frost week so I might be able to plant out but I'm not sure and dang it, I've not prepared that bit of the lottie yet  :oops:  :roll:

Quite proud of them since they're from a crown prince I bought back in september and saved the seeds from because I'd quite like a blue-ish pumpkin  :D Got 100% germination (out of 3  :wink: ) so far.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
The Triffid Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 23:27 »
How weird you use the Triffid title - I just re-read the book which is older than me.

Anyway - try a big pot to hold it for a bit. I got some big decorative plastic pots dirt cheap and use those as they were cheaper than standard pots.

That will give you time to prepare the plot.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
The Triffid Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:09 »
my pumpkin and courgettes have done exactly the same! I was amazed as everything else starts quite little but not these lot!

I have however just been successful bidding on ebay for a fabulous greenhouse 8 by 6 with staging and a automatic vent for £80 I am so excited. Just need to organise delivery or collection in the next day or so and then some pursuasion to the OH to go and put it up and then I will transfer all my little plants that are scattered round my house into the greenhouse!
I just cant wait
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
The Triffid Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:45 »
Congrats on the greenhouse - hope your OH is faster than me at putting it up for you. I keep looking at this huge meccano kit and finding other jobs to do!

Heather_S

The Triffid Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:52 »
Just worried about a bigger pot because I don't want to disturb its roots (I thought pumpkins were fussy about that).

Heather_S

The Triffid Problem
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:00 »
Ohh and is it true about the "don't grow in ground that has been limed in the last 3-4 weeks"? I've not got around to liming yet but I have seedlings waiting to go out :oops:  :? Is there anyway of speeding up the waiting time or reducing pH more quickly?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
The Triffid Problem
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:52 »
I reckon you can pot on without causing any root problem- just pack the compost around the old pot, then tip out and 'flip' into the hole. Easier to do than explain for some reason.

With lime, it depends on what type of lime.  The cheap white powder stuff (hydrated lime?) works quickly but is harsh. It also fades faster. Ground limestone, however, is milder and lasts longer.

If you mix it in well. rotovate perhaps, it should be OK to plant fairly soon after applying.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
The Triffid Problem
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 21:20 »
Alternativly, plant it where it is to grow and cover it with an improvised cloche such as a giant water bottle with the base cut off.

As an old showman, I also advise sowing another pot or 2 for backup if the first plant fails.

xx
A triffid?!

Started by ali2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 08:10
by Will1983
xx
Triffid Tomato

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 08:51
by purplebean
clip
Help triffid Broad Beans

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 06:05
by Twood
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.