onion fly?

• 4 Replies

MarkG

onion fly?
« on: July 08, 2008, 20:39 »
Hi All,

The tops of some of my onions were bending over, so I loosened and pulled them. Some were soft round the root and peeling away a couple of layers revealed small brown casters (or they look like casters used in fishing). Could these be onion fly casters? They are about 1/2mm in diameter and maybe 2 or 3mm long.

I've read some posts that say the whole crop is likely to be infected so should be pulled and chucked. In practice is this likely, or is it OK to inspect each onion when its pulled and just throw the ones that show signs of the fly/maggot.

Any advice on what, if anything, can be done would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gobs

onion fly?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 22:15 »
Onion fly is quite a bit longer than that, so hopefully not.

I had to check caster in the dictionary to decide it was a typo. :lol:  :lol:

Did not make me wiser, do you mean tunnels?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bignij

• Experienced Member
onion fly?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 22:16 »
Casters are maggot pupae!

MarkG

onion fly?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 22:27 »
Yes, sorry, meant pupae.

I found a website here http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/vegetables/onion/om.pdf

which shows a picture of what I found. The picture labelled number 4. My current theory is that the presence of the maggots (before they became pupae) caused the stems to bend over. I wasn't expecting the onions to be ready until August time, and they nearly all have upright stems and look healthy.

So tomorrow I'll pull any remaining with bending stems, or any suspicious looking stems of any sort, and also pull a dozen or so healthy looking ones and check them for pupae or maggots.

Also a couple of sites I read said that the maggot crawls back into the soil before turning into a pupae. Mine have stayed in the onion.

gobs

onion fly?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 23:35 »
Oh, thanks, learnt a new word there.

That's for over-wintering, Mark, there are several generations a year.

I'd personally be tempted to do what you pretty much suggest to the extreme and pull all of them up - I'm not using toxins in my gardens, so everything, I'm doubtful about comes out, as soon as poss -, and dry the good ones in some sunny , aery place.

You can be lucky too, as bean flies sometimes do pester onions too, very similar but don't do quite that much damage.

Just take them up and well turn the soil a few times till next season and use for other crops than onion types for a few years.

xx
Pickling Onion recommendation / straggly onion & leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:45
by Annie
xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion bed

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 19:45
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 37 queries.