green spuds

• 7 Replies

bright lights

green spuds
« on: July 08, 2008, 14:48 »
Should all green spuds be discarded or can i just cut off the green bits before cooking,dont want to poison the family.....well,not all of them anyway  :wink:

Bombers

green spuds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 14:49 »
Seen this on another post. Just cut off the green bits!  :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

bright lights

green spuds
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 14:57 »
Thank you!

gobs

green spuds
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 21:51 »
The green on the potato is actually just chlorophyill, contrary to common belief, and as such is perfectly harmless, so little  point in cutting it off.

But quite commonly an indicator that the tuber started to produce and so contain more toxic material, just as all photosynthetysing parts of the plant do.

I know, all folks are doing this and seem OK and the pots in the shops are all green, but let's face it:

- peoples food knowledge badly declined since the supermarket and ready food started

- you never know why someone got that condition or died in the end

I personally don't eat them - and the new potatoes used to be handled different as handed down from my gran and mother, you never ever use there cooking waters or in stews, we make a lot of that sort in my country and sure enough, all there cooking waters have a greenish hue -, the less toxins in the body the better, earth them up well, so you don't get many green jobs. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

vegmandan

green spuds
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 22:04 »
Got to disagree with you there gobs.

It's not chlorophyll.

Here's an extract from the Food Standards Agency regarding green spuds.

All potatoes contain natural toxins called glycoalkaloids, usually at low levels. But higher levels of glycoalkaloids can be found in green parts of potatoes, sprouted potatoes and potatoes stored in light. Severe glycoalkaloid poisoning is very rare, but it's important to store potatoes in a dark, cool and dry place and not to eat green or sprouting parts. If you've removed the green parts and the potatoes still taste bitter, don't eat them.

gobs

green spuds
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 22:08 »
Quote from: "vegmandan"
Got to disagree with you there gobs.

It's not chlorophyll.

Here's an extract from the Food Standards Agency regarding green spuds.

All potatoes contain natural toxins called glycoalkaloids, usually at low levels. But higher levels of glycoalkaloids can be found in green parts of potatoes, sprouted potatoes and potatoes stored in light. Severe glycoalkaloid poisoning is very rare, but it's important to store potatoes in a dark, cool and dry place and not to eat green or sprouting parts. If you've removed the green parts and the potatoes still taste bitter, don't eat them.

That's just what I'm trying to say there: quite commonly an indicator that the tuber started to produce and so contain more toxic material, just as all photosynthetysing parts of the plant do.

I'd be surprised if glycoalkaloids were detectible by the naked eye as green, chlorophyl is.

MarkG

green spuds
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 22:17 »
So the green itself is called chlorophyll and isn't toxic. However, its presence indicates that the Potatoe contains higher levels of glycoalkaloids than normal, which are toxic. And these are found in the green part (so alongside the chlorophll).

Is that correct?

gobs

green spuds
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 22:20 »
No they are found in the whole tuber, once it starts to photosynthetise.

Well, they are found in the whole tuber anyway, only in tiny amounts. Every new potato variety is checked for it to be a safe level as it is very toxic.

It is likely to increase with onset of photosynthesis.

xx
Green Spuds

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 13:08
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chitting Spuds going green????

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 12:38
by Stevens706
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 36 queries.