Should I drip?

• 3 Replies

Yabba

Should I drip?
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:53 »
We recently got donated a little greenhouse ( about 8 x 6 ) and I was wondering about the best way to water it

I've got a few options :

1) by hand ... I'm there 6 afternoons out of seven, so it's not really a problem
2) a misting system ... although it mists from below ( ie/ ground level ) I'm not sure it's best for the plants.
3) a drip system ... I think this is the best option?

At the moment we've only got a few tomatoes and cucumbers in it, growing in grow bags, but we've more waiting to go in as soon as they've got a little bigger, and I'd like to get everything ready before it's needed.

A couple of details :
The greenhouse is in the far corner of a field and doesn't have any electricity or running water etc, but I'm only a hosepipes length away from a supply .... I could also ( at a stretch ) get an eleccy supply there as well.

Sometime this week I'll be getting at least one huge blue barrel donated, so I was thinking of using that to supply any water needs, topping it up with the hosepipe if required. From looking at "big drippa" type of systems I assume this will have enough preassure to run a drip system, but probably not enough to power a misting system ( although I can get a pond pump of whatever size was needed to run it )

No matter which method I go for it'll pretty much cost me nothing as we either have all the parts or can adapt available stuff to do the job enough.

Personally I'm leaning towards a drip system as, from what I've read, this would give the fruit and veg a more consistent environment, but what do I know, I'm just a beginner ;)

Any advice/views would be appreciated.

¥

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Should I drip?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13 »
I'll move this to the GYO forum, where it may be viewed by more folk in the know.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

nobby

• Experienced Member
Should I drip?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 20:14 »
watering can is bast
driping causes shallow roots and a constent damp surface which encoreges fungus
misting is great for mildew you will get it every were

Yabba

Should I drip?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 18:07 »
Please excuse my ignorance,

I thought the whole point of a drip system ( assuming that flow rates were set right ..... not that I know what flow rates I should be setting, but god loves a trier ) was to ensure that  the plant always had enough/consistent water at it's roots? (ie/ they shouldn't be striving for surface water ) ... I'm guessing that it's a tad optimistic to hope that the fungi taste great in an omelet?

At the moment we have some upturned water bottles ( base cut off and all that) buried between each pair of plants in the growbags. Between filling those and watering the surface ( need to work out how to stop the water flushing "soil" off the surface ) the plants seem healthy enough ... but I'd hate to lose the little we have by screwing thing up through ignorance

¥

xx
Drip watering greenhouse

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 21:21
by DavidT
clip
World's cheapest drip irrigation for squash

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2022, 20:38
by Boston digger

Page created in 0.927 seconds with 36 queries.