Fruit Trees

• 4 Replies

lincspoacher

Fruit Trees
« on: July 06, 2008, 18:51 »
Having had a look round the net and a few garden centres, i notice that you cannot buy seeds for fruit trees, only fruit tree seedlings.

IS this correct that they can only be grown by grafting/chip budding etc type propagation?  Compared to the cost of a packet of seeds, fruit trees are very expensive...... How did they reproduce before man came along ?

Dominic

Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 21:04 »
Very slowly and very badly, would be the best way to put it.

It is possible to grow a tree from a seed, but the effort required makes it a bit pointless.
Oh, and the seed doesn't always grow into the right tree, apple trees for example.  Not sure why.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

gobs

Fruit Trees
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 21:20 »
If it is not a hybrid or cross-pollinating then you can, but grafts can save you upto a decade waiting, depending, also, hybrids, you don't know what you get, a long wait to find out it a useless seedling. :wink:

Non-hybrid sour cherries and cherries are one of the easiest and fastest to fruit, only some years, want a sour cherry seed or two, pm me your address, but if willing to pay for postage , have saplings as suckers, too, much faster job. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

vegikev

Fruit Trees
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 21:22 »
try aproaching local fruit farmers at the end of the year, they pay about £4 per tree and may have some extra. good luck :D
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

Trillium

Fruit Trees
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 22:59 »
A lot of the hybrids these days have overcome many disease and pest problems of the past, along with sizes to fit various gardens, not to mention tastier varieties. A friend has a very old, very tall apple tree that self-seeded itself, and it produces absolutely masses of the worst tasting and dry apples you'd ever find. The tree is left as winter feed for the birds since you can't even sauce these apples nicely.
Considering many trees in garden centres and catalogues are 3-5 years old, you're ahead of the game in harvest time unless you're going for a standard (full) sized tree and have about 15 more years to wait for harvest. Without grafting onto dwarf rootstock, you'll only get standard trees.

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 30 queries.