Bitter cucumber advice please.

• 10 Replies

Mother Earth

« on: July 05, 2008, 21:53 »
Oh what have i done wrong...........

Been growing Telegraph cucumbers in the greenhouse plants look heathy, plenty of fruit growing and have been pinching out male flowers, cut our first cucumber off plant today and... its bitter. The cucumber was about 8" but hadn't swelled as much as i thought it might. I have been watering them well and feeding with tomato food.

Any advice on what i have done wrong would be much appreciated, and do you think all other fruit from plants will be the same?

I was so proud of the first ever cucumber i'd grown and now i could cry.
If you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening. (Arthur Smith)

neil1967

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 22:02 »
how developed are the male flowers before you pinch them out? I pinch them out as soon as I can tell it's male (long before the flower opens).

If it's bitter due to the male pollinating the female then only pollinated cukes will be bitter all unpollinated should be o.k.

Have any of your neighbours got cukes growing and if so have they pinched out. I've rigged an insect net on my greenhouse roof vent to stop anything getting in.

neil

gobs

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:23 »
I don't think there is too much that you can do but hope and try a diff variety next year.

Bitterness in cuc is mostly genetic - newer varieties are unlikely to have much or any - influenced by environmental factors, how and when and soforth is not fully understood, but once happens can't really be corrected by cultural practices.

Distribution of the bitterness causing chemical in the plants is uneven, so you might well get some better tasting ones, usually concentrated the stalk end and skin in the fruit, so cut and peel.

With old varieties, we used to let them stand in salt for a while once chopped and then wash and use, when I was a kid, they were so bitter, this removes the bitterness.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Alex 98

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:08 »
Masterpiece, a RHS variety is a strong grower, but again slightly bitter
We've had some 5 inches long, going to let them get bigger now and see if the flavour changes
The thing is, the bigger they get, the more seeds, less flesh
Better than a dutch water stick though

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

helluvatractor

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:38 »
i've grown burpless tasty green this year in greenhouse, you don't have to worry about pinching out male flowes and all six cucumbers i have picked so far have been lovely, touch wood the rest will be the same :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
bitter cucumbers
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:17 »
I would definitely try growing an all female variety next time.
Rachael

rockyracoon

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 20:11 »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this post, but how do you know what varieties are female only, and how do you know what flowers are male.  I've got 2 plants going at the moment with lots of cucs starting to come through and I'm getting worried now.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 21:26 »
Female flower have a little fruitlet at the base of the flower, males don't. DD has a handling manual about this he made earlier, somewhere in pumpkin or squash.

All female varieties will be wildly advertised on - a more expensive - packet or in catalogue.

rockyracoon

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 22:39 »
Thanks gobs, will go and have a gander.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 22:41 »
?? Don't know about a 'handling manual', gobs, but have posted this before.

Whilst it's a courgette plant, it's of the same family (cucurbit), and hopefully whill illustrate the point.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rockyracoon

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 22:45 »
Bless you DD, I have got male flowers then.  I'll pull them of tomorrow morning.

xx
bitter cucumber

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 00:40
by senrab_nhoj
xx
bitter cucumber

Started by eliza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:23
by Trillium
xx
Bitter cucumber

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 19:34
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Cucumber Advice Please!

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 21:09
by The Norfolk Turkey

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 28 queries.