Rats, advice?

• 20 Replies

Yolky

Rats, advice?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 23:03 »
Oh good point about the galvanised wire under the shed bit. I shall make sure we do that when we do our concerete base. I have cut back lots of the boarder growth in the garden too so there isn't so many places to hide.

Kate and her Ducks

Rats, advice?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 22:37 »
Quote from: "milly8"
we,ve just got some too,they look so cute that i hate to poison them but know i have too,will have to get the poison tomo!!!!

Yep, the little ones can be cute. They spread diease, eat your chooks food and kill and eat chicks.

Kill 'em, they're the enemy
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Piglit's Pullets

• www.pamperedchef.com
Rats, advice?
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 12:53 »
Hiya,

I think that there is a thread on here about rat control, using 'pipe traps' along known runs and using the expensive yet safe and effective bait blocks.  We have horses behind us and open countryside beyond that so rats are a real problem as several people keep chickens in the village.  One friend has almost every trap on the market and has bought a night vision lens for his delux air rifle so he can lie in wait for them with out upsetting the chickens...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..... it is a very effective method.  With a small dog, we have opted for the old pipe with poison in the middle of it.   :twisted:  

Hope the hunt is productive and giving good results.

Cheerio, Piglit

PS Rats = plague
" Staying In is the new going out " You are only steps away from hosting your very own Pampered Chef party with moi... go on, see what all the buzz is about!

Porffor

Rats, advice?
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 13:16 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
my brother and I had a pet 'fancy' rat when we were young, she was dead sweet and very clean. We were all really sad when she died of a brain tumour  :cry:

I also had pet rats as a teen and was amazed how clean they are (much more so than guinea pigs).

BUT.. I had to go down the line of killing rats in our garden, as much for us and our neighbours as our chooks. Wasn't something I liked, but I had to remove myself from the 'cute' pet rats train of thought.

milly8

Rats, advice?
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 20:53 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Quote from: "milly8"
we,ve just got some too,they look so cute that i hate to poison them but know i have too,will have to get the poison tomo!!!!

Yep, the little ones can be cute. They spread diease, eat your chooks food and kill and eat chicks.

Kill 'em, they're the enemy
tried to get some rat poison today but cant find any in shops,have to go further afield.our rat is now brave enough to walk around in the chickens larger run while they in it and they just look at it!!!it has to go!!!!!
MAD MOTHER WITH TOO MANY ANIMALS!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

Rats, advice?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 21:08 »
I got some eradibait over the internet. Liked the sound of something non-toxic to birds and wildlife. Bought a huge tub as assumed that they will be an ongoing problem. Haven't had to refill the traps in months!!!! No evidence of rats after the first 5 days. Think its great!!! If you struggle to get any could always send you some, just pm me.

xx
Advice re deterring rats

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 11:30
by raeburg
xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
rats

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 14:17
by woodside farm
xx
Rats!

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 10:21
by nerdle

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 37 queries.