What have I done!

• 15 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
What have I done!
« on: July 03, 2008, 13:56 »
I'm frightened now. I thought that perhaps it was safer to plant lots of pumpkins and squash, in case lots of them didn't make it. Instead they all look delighted with themselves and one of the pumpkin plants has got 17 (!!!) flowers already.

I realize I have to take some away (both plants and flowers on the plants left) but which ones? And how? How much space do they need?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
What have I done!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 14:01 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  they do go a bit mad, you can trim the growth of pumpkins and let them swell the fruit up.  The only squash I have grown was butternut, and that took half my 250sqm plot up, so never grown them again, however you can train them up structures and grow on the verticle if your limited on room. Good luck. lesson learned.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Porffor

What have I done!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 15:33 »
Ok.. i'm hiding behind my screen here.. I planted about 12 seeds recently.. lol and have some in my kitchen 'in case' :lol:
I have a squash but it's not doing much to be honest.
Good luck deciding what to cut back on :) you could always sell them with a sign at the end of your driveway! ;) or make lots of pies, soup etc :lol:

paintedlady

What have I done!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 16:00 »
If you do get lots of fruits, your friends & neighbours will only be too happy to take the surplus off you :wink:

Also, remember all winter squashes & marrows store very well if cured properly and will keep you in supply until at least end January/mid-February next year.  I always work on the theory that something that can go wrong will go wrong so its better to have too many than not enough :roll:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
What have I done!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 16:03 »
Quote from: "Porffor"

Squash, (Butternut in my case), I always find are late developers. They sit there doing not a lot for quite a while, lull you into a false sense of security & then run up on you from behind when you're not looking!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
What have I done!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 16:06 »
Quote from: "DD."

Squash, (Butternut in my case), I always find are late developers. They sit there doing not a lot for quite a while, lull you into a false sense of security & then run up on you from behind when you're not looking!

Totally

I was up my allotment on Sun and Mon and one of my Cobnut's was bushing up nicely, and I pop along last night and a shoot almost wrapped around my ankle  ;)
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

gobs

Re: What have I done!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 16:16 »
Quote from: "gardgydja"
I'm frightened now. I thought that perhaps it was safer to plant lots of pumpkins and squash, in case lots of them didn't make it. Instead they all look delighted with themselves and one of the pumpkin plants has got 17 (!!!) flowers already.

I realize I have to take some away (both plants and flowers on the plants left) but which ones? And how? How much space do they need?

Don't take the flowers off, most of them will be males for a start and you get better set and once you fruit you happy with, can prune the rest of plant away. One or 2 sq metre a plant should be enough though and you can just let them run around each other.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Porffor

What have I done!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 18:33 »
Quote from: "DD."

Phew! :) So relieved to hear you say that.. i've been 'watching' it carefully and hoping.. it has TONS of buds in the centre, but nothing 'going on' yet... fingers x'd it surprises me - it is a butternut :) I love roasted or mashed butternut squash! lol

Bombers

What have I done!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 21:22 »
Very pleased to read this thread. I was wondering whether my plants were going to do anything. I've not tried them before,and I've got one in a pot (hoping to train up against a fence) and one down the lottie -(plenty of space to roam)  but after much TLC and watering, nothing much seems to be happening :cry:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
What have I done!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 21:29 »
Take a look at mine on the pic thread I finally managed to put up, you can see how small they are, they are behind me. Now one week later they have taken off! If I go tomorrow I will snap a pic with my phone (camera was stolen on holiday last month, too bad)

Yours might just give you a surprise yet!

allotmentvegigirl

What have I done!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 22:08 »
GOSH!! I eat tons of BN squash (soup for lunch everyday at work).  The first 12 I planted - nothing happened - so I planted 100 at the weekend :shock:  :shock: Please keep your eye on the SWOP section!! I only have 1/2 plot OOPS!!

paintedlady

What have I done!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 16:24 »
Quote from: "allotmentvegigirl"
- so I planted 100 at the weekend

:shock:   when I said you can't have too many, I was thinking on the lines of between 5 & 15 plants!

Porffor

What have I done!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 16:35 »
:lol: now that could be a LOT of BN squash! you'd better ring around your garden centre and see if you can sell them plants! ;) or supply the local greengrocers! lol

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
What have I done!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 21:30 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Quote from: "allotmentvegigirl"
- so I planted 100 at the weekend

LOL
100!!!!!!
I utterly love BNS, so have planted a couple at the base of my sweetcorn, just to see what happens... and a few pumpkins somewhere else. Have to say, even though we've been eating new potatoes and french beans this week from the garden, I'm still constantly skeptical about this idea that anything will actually grow!

Porffor

What have I done!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 21:32 »
I'm a bit like you lisa.. but summer is still young ;) fingers x'd..

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 36 queries.