To Harvest or not

• 4 Replies

backpain

To Harvest or not
« on: July 03, 2008, 13:46 »
Hi,

My early potatoes on the lottie look like they're starting to die. Some are going a bit yellow and droopy, the rest look healthy. I pulled one up and the yeild wasn't great.  Couple of medium sized ones and lots of small ones.  The flowers have all fallen off. I think they're foremost.

Have they cought something or are they just ready to eat.

I know it's probably a stupid question but when you don't know what you're doing you have to ask.
 :oops:
Cheers.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
To Harvest or not
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 13:53 »
Not a stupid question at all, thats why were here. It maybe that in your area you have not had a lot of water (rain) so thats why your yield is low. The ones that are yellow, have they flowerd? if so thats why, they have come to the end of their little lives, try digging up one of the healthier looking plants that are either in flower or about too, you may find that the yeild is better as the rain of late would help.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

backpain

To Harvest or not
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 15:51 »
Cheers Aidy,

I would say it's been fairly dry in the midlands, but I have given them a sprinkle when they've look liked needing it. I would say most have flowered so I'm thinking maybe its time to eat them then.  I grew some in raised beds at home which got really leggy and we ate those through June, these were planted about 4 weeks after so they should be ready.

backpain

To Harvest or not
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:36 »
It's all ok, we dug some more plants up and the yeild is pretty good I'd say.  Off 4 plants we have enough spuds to last us a week.  How cool.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
To Harvest or not
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 19:50 »
Well done, backpain  :D  

Same here, regarding low yeild of first row of spuds that I dug up ... I reckon it's defo to do with the lack of rain we had all of May & most of June. The ones at the plot had hardly any spuds but the ones I dug up from the garden (that got a good soaking every night) had LOADS of spuds! I got more off plants in the garden than off a whole row at the lottie  :lol:
It's been raining here lately so hopefully the next lot I dig up from the lottie will be better  :D

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
Yay, first harvest

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 19:56
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
Last Harvest.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 18:39
by Riala
xx
First harvest

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 20:26
by Remy

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 36 queries.