girls not laying

• 3 Replies

cflossy

girls not laying
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:47 »
Hi everyone,
not sure if I have a problem or not but it seems that only 4 of my 6 chickens are laying.
they are all about 16 months old and were laying great last year and throught the winter as well but it seems that for the last couple of months we are getting between 2 and 4 eggs a day.
they all seem very healthy and are eating and drinking normally, running around, can't find any creepies on them.
I was wondering if the reason is one of them (Olive) seems to be quite small compared to the others and she might have gone off lay for a bit - but she seems fine in herself - always up to mischief, and the other one (Glorita) is hen pecked by the others and is looking a bit scruffy but again we can't seem to find any other reason why she would not be laying.
They were wormed in March by the way.
Any advice - or just to tell me  not to worry about them would be great.
thanks
Claire

Foxy

girls not laying
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 13:15 »
Big welcome to the forum Clare!!!  :salut:  :salut:

What breed are your chooks? Hybrids for example will lay prolifically during their first year  often through their first winter as well. 2 to 4 eggs a day sounds OK. If the birds are healthy -sounds like they are! I really wouldn't be worried -would give the coop a very careful check for redmite though as you wouldn't see on the bird. Keep an eye on their diet to ensure main staple is layers pellets/mash. If they are giving you nice hard-shelled eggs I think would be fine :lol:  :lol:
Oh and the rules are piccies please! :lol

Vember

girls not laying
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 13:47 »
Hi Claire

Welcome

cant't wait to see some photo's of your girls

cflossy

girls not laying
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:04 »
hi Foxy,
thanks for your reply, they are black rocks, and we feed them on layers pellets adl lib with grit, greens most days in the afternoon and corn, we mix in garlic powder and mixed spice once a week. giving them a thorough clean out today so will be extra vigilent for red mite.
trying to attach a pic, but can't understand how to do it I'm afraid - will have to wait until OH gets home!!!! :oops:
Claire

xx
Why are my girls not laying?

Started by EmmaS on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 16:45
by EmmaS
xx
how's everyone girls laying.

Started by davidmw on The Hen House

73 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 16:47
by carolbriar
xx
Why aren't some of my girls laying yet?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:48
by Hensington
xx
new girls stopped laying

Started by ruthsamuel2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:55
by ruthsamuel2

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 36 queries.