New to the forum

• 7 Replies

HLT

New to the forum
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:23 »
I've only recently come across this website and have been following the forum for a couple of weeks - hope you don't mind me butting in and asking for some advice!  

I'm quite new to chicken-keeping (since March) - I have 3 chickens of different breeds (Redco, Black Rock and a Light Sussex) and have been thoroughly enjoying the experience, they're such fun and me and my two boys just love them to bits!  We were watching the Hugh Fernley-whatsisname programme recently and my 9 year old was so upset and begged me to rescue every single battery hen in the world!!  :)  So I made enquiries and have arranged to pick up 3 ex-batteries at the end of the month.  But now I'm starting to have doubts and after reading some of the threads am beginning to think maybe I should reconsider.  

How will my girls react to the ex-batteries - they're quite big (especially the Light Sussex) and I'm worried the poor newbies will be bullied.  I know I have to keep them separate to start with - for how long?  My husband is in the process of building a bigger run, so I can keep the one we have now (rabbit-run type) for the ex-batteries but what should they sleep in - would a cardboard box turned on its side be ok?  My 3 girls get on so well and I'm worried that introducing 3 more would upset the balance - what if they don't get on?  :cry:

Would be grateful for any advice.

Vember

New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 13:42 »
Real Sorry I have no experience with mixing ex-bats but just wanted to say Welcome to the Hen House.

Someone with more experience will be along shortly and they'll answer your question but as far as I know if you do the introductions gradually and keep them apart but able to see one an other then in time you should be ok to mix :)

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
New to the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 13:58 »
Hiya, please dont change your mind, you might have a few teathing problems but it will all be fine. We got a bantam and a hybrid in January this year then we rescued 3 battery hens at the end of march. We found that our ex batts werent strong enough to put up with being pecked by our healthy girls at first and we had to keep them seperate for a few days. As soon as they had got some strength back- after a few days we started to let them out together. They naturally have to sort out their pecking order and we had to interveen a couple of times but it all worked out fine. Within a week they were all friends and weve never had problems after that week. To see our ex batts take their first steps on grass and to know they will be happy and loved, honestly there is nothing like it. They all have their own personalitys. They all had feathers missing, daisy had no feathers on her neck atall but within 2 months they had got all their feathers back, you can see improvements ever week. Hope this helps you.

Bodger

New to the forum
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 14:05 »
Keep it simple HLT, why run the risk of ruining a simple and enjoyable system ?

HLT

New to the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 14:39 »
I guess you're saying I shouldn't get the ex-batts Bodger - are you speaking from experience?

Debbie D

New to the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 15:04 »
We started off with 4 ex-batts then got another 2 hybrids after a couple of weeks.  There were a few scuffles but nothing too serious and they all get on fine now.  It would be best if you can keep the ex-batts seperate for a week or two though and then gradually introduce them, let them free range for an hour or two together when you are around to intervene.  The ex-batts will probably be a bit fragile when you first get them and need to get their strength back but it is amazing how quickly they pick up and start acting like chickens.  They have such friendly personalities too and are always  following you round (or should that be always under your bleeding feet!).  We were completely new to keeping chickens when we got them but it has so far been problem free and it has been really rewarding to see them flourish with a bit of tlc.

Porffor

New to the forum
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 15:20 »
Hi and Welcome! :)
My hubby and I have agreed to differ on this.. I like you would like ex-batts.. but hubby has Bodgers concerns I guess. :)
Whatever you choose, there are people alongside you, those that have rescued and those that have chosen to err on the side of caution.
For now.. i'm on the caution side, but not convinced i will be forever.

Really glad your boys are enjoying your chooks too! :)

Bodger

New to the forum
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 15:37 »
Its not just battery chickens. Have a read of this thread
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=239481#239481

I stand by the second piece of advice that I give.

xx
New to Forum

Started by netty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 13:35
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new to this forum

Started by nannie16 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 08:29
by joyfull
xx
Hi, Im new to this forum

Started by lizatros on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 04:17
by chicksforkicks
xx
can some one help this chap off another forum please

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 19:38
by Foxy

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 37 queries.