« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 23:18 »
Hahaha!!okay 70 courgettes  over the season thats much better  :D

Jazz :wink:
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

GreenOwl

Courgettes
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "Adrian"
I'm sure there's plenty of other things you can do too cook and freeze them.

I have a recipe book called "What will I do with all those courgettes?".  

I find they're good to give to the neighbours when OH starts objecting to courgettes with every meal.  I'm growing 2 plants.  Seriously, they are one of the most productive crops out there.  I find 2 plants about right for 2 adults and 2 children.  If I had a big freezer I might grow one more plant.  

The first year my sister-in-law grew them she planted 6 plants close together.  I'm afraid I laughed!

Poolfield2

Courgettes
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 14:44 »
Courgette grated with onion and carrot, add mayo and call it coleslaw. I make this cos OH hates cabbage.

One year when we were overcome with courgettes (from 2plants for 2 people) I even found a recipe for courgette muffins for braekfast but thought that was taking things a bit too far. :)

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Courgettes
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 15:07 »
What's happening to mine then?  :cry:  Three plants with only male flowers that keep dropping off, the leaves are being eaten by something else and the ones that are left are yellow and sickly-looking...  :(

GreenOwl

Courgettes
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote from: "nipper31"
What's happening to mine then?  :cry:  Three plants with only male flowers that keep dropping off, the leaves are being eaten by something else and the ones that are left are yellow and sickly-looking...  :(

Be patient.  The male flowers come first.  Another week or two and you should start getting female flowers and fruit.  Not sure about the leaves being eaten but I've only found that a problem with small plants, when they get bigger they don't get munched.  Re: yellow and sickly looking - maybe they need feeding.  Mine are quite yellow-leaved at the moment but I've only just planted them out.  Had the same problem last year.  They perked up.

Adrian

Courgettes
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 19:17 »
The recipe we use for courgette balls is a Madhur Jaffrey one. I've posted it over in the "Cooking, Storing and Preserving" forum. Click here to read it

The subject is "Courgette balls - a Madhur Jaffrey recipe"

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Cheers,

Adrian

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Courgettes
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 20:08 »
Thanks Adrian that recipe looks really good - now just waiting for my 3 plants to produce loads of courgettes.

willnbirdie

farmersue

Courgettes
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 20:48 »
I think you can also eat the flowers. I've got 4 plants on the go, 3 of which are growing like mad and producing nice looking fruit, but one of them isn't looking so good. Sounds like that might not be a bad thing, as my OH doesn't really like them, leaving me to eat them all! Although I didn't manage to get any off my 1 plant in a growbag on my balcony last year. I also made the classic mistake of sowing far too many lettuce at the same time............... :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Courgettes
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 23:53 »
And make sure you keep looking for the fruits, it only seems to take a couple ofdays and you've got marrows!!!!

I don't seem to get too many now, and Penny and me eat them small while we are walking around the garden, she loves them!!!!

Like that recipe though, sounds yummy!!!!!

chrissie B

Courgettes
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 07:10 »
curried courgette chutney is a good one for using up the exess
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Adrian

Courgettes
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 22:34 »
I seem to vaguely remember courgette and ginger jam. Also, you most definitely can eat the flowers. You should be able to find some recipes for cooking baby courgettes with their flowers left on, with the flowers stuffed.

If all else fails, they make a good addition to the compost!

Cheers,

Adrian

purplenic

Courgettes
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 22:13 »
was beginning to wonder if mine would ever flower... however up there today and 1 flower - so thats good. ive got 3 plants in 1 growbag - (still digging the plot as its new)wondering if i should have seperated them further apart??

Adrian

Courgettes
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 15:17 »
I've never tried courgettes in growbags, but I'd be surprised if one bag would accomodate three plants - to be honest I'd have thought one would be pushing it. Don't forget that a mature plant is going to be quite a few feet across - unless you train it up a support (again, I've never actually done that, though).

Cheers,

Adrian

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Courgettes
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 15:40 »
My courgettes are spaced 5 feet apart, one grow bag would not be big enough for one!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

purplenic

Courgettes
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59 »
:oops: !!!!

ok - will remedy the situation at the weekend!!!! cheers
x

xx
courgettes... or not

Started by nuttytart on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:37
by Herb
xx
Courgettes

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 14:00
by JayG
xx
Courgettes

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 12:51
by yummy
xx
courgettes

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:51
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 36 queries.