Noisy Hen Help Needed

• 10 Replies

scampy

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« on: June 30, 2008, 13:07 »
I have four bantam hens and the oldest one (pekin)is making an awful racket, every morning.  She is let out of her coop at 6.00 am and into a run.  At 6.30 she starts to make this noise (sounds like a seagull).  She keeps doing this till one us takes out some food or lets her free range.  She also does it in the day as sooon as she spots one of us.  Neighbours are now starting to complain as i live in residential area.   I have tried putting food in run the night before when door shuts but this only keeps her quiet for a few minutes.  She still lays so not acting like a cockerel. Don't want to get rid of her but don't know what to do.

poultrygeist

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 13:23 »
My first thought is that she gets let out or food when she makes the noise so isn't likely to stop very quickly !

One suggestion could be to let her out a bit later so her noise is less of a nuisance. Unless she's just as noisy in the house. Maybe late enough to give her free range as soon as you unlock.

Is she the top hen ? Might be that she sees it as her duty to get you to open run/feed them.

Sounds like it's the free ranging that is the most important thing to her since you've tried the food.

Rob  :)

scampy

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 13:36 »
yes she is top hen.  I am gonna try keeping her in longer tommorow to see if that makes a difference.  I know she will be noisey in the house but will be quieter than in the garden.  She just gets louder and louder when she sees us.  If I go to let her free range for the few minutes it takes to get to the run, the noise is terrible.  Neighbours very unhappy and am worried they will complain to council.

poultrygeist

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 13:40 »
We're lucky in that our only near neighbours are elderly and probably wouldn't hear any noise.  :)

We don't free-range our girls which makes it simpler. I would imagine once they taste freedom it becomes the ultimate desire. If not for your neighbours, you could obviously leave her to it until she calms down, then let her out. But, as you say, you don't need any complaints.

Rob  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 14:07 »
Keep all the hens in their house until a civilized hour (by your neighbours habits).  I'm in a residential area so I don't let mine out until 8 a.m. all year round.  

Make sure their house is dark !  Cover any windows or ventilation grills with thick material to keep the light out.  

I don't think anyone can complain if hens make a noise during the day time, vehicles children and dogs do so why not hens ?

And just like children you will have to retrain her by ignoring her noise and showing her it gets her nothing.  If that doesn't work shut her back in her dark hen house for a while when she shouts.  She WILL get the message  :D

scampy

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 16:00 »
thanks will try that.  will go and change door opener time now.will it be ok to cover ventalation grill over night?

Ruby Red

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 16:23 »
I cover mine over with a big tarpaulin. It keeps it dark and muffles the noise in and out.  :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

ness

• Experienced Member
Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 20:34 »
I had a gobby bird  :lol: - she'd squawk at every opportunity, morning noon and bedtime. Before egg laying, during, and after.  I also live in a built up area and although no one complained I think it was only a matter of time.
She also became a persistant bully so I made the decision to give her to a friend, where she can make as much noise as she likes.
I'm sorry not to offer any advice but lots of sympathy instead.  I have to say my two remaining hens (her daughters) are lovely and quiet. :D
I hope you get your noisy problem sorted.
Ness x

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 21:39 »
You have my sympathy, one of my Black Rocks is noisy too. They are let out of their house at 6.ooam and free ranging by 6.30 but some mornings my partner leaves at 4.30am to get the train and she starts up then.  My neighbours complain all the time about her (although they accept her eggs without charge!).  As soon as they free range she calms down until she sees or hears me then she starts, so I creep out to hang out the washing in case she sees me.  Generally she wants attention from me, so I try and spend some time with them morning and afternoon which helps. The other 2 are perfect its just the smallest one (and she is not top of pecking order).  I ignore her and eventually she gives up so stick with it!!!

Kate and her Ducks

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 21:46 »
My neighbours informed me the other day that my ducks wake them up every morning at about 6.30. They think its lovely "like waking up in the countryside".

HOW LUCKY AM I?????!!!!!! :cheers:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

Noisy Hen Help Needed
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 21:48 »
Start letting them out earlier each mornign until you find their breaking point  :lol:

R

xx
Advice needed, noisy hen but to be fair I only got her today

Started by mooie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 13:37
by mooie
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
noisy hen

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:01
by Shazzer
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 36 queries.