Ex-Bats Scotland rescue day report

• 2 Replies

ardentinny

« on: June 30, 2008, 11:25 »
628 ex-battery hens were re-homed last Saturday in Perthshire. Thanks go to Scottish coordinator Jim Duff and his BHWT.org.uk volunteers. I have posted a report, photo's and video at http://www.ardentinny.org/hens/. We also have a LIVE henhouse webcam (3 views dependent on activity!), so u can watch 6 of the girls 24 hours a day.

Enjoy!

David
www.ardentinny.org
Streaming Ex-bats LIVE 24 hrs a day at http://www.ardentinny.org/hens/

woodburner

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 13:35 »
Well, I don't know how much ex-bats normally fetch in Ardentinny, but around here they go for 5p each, not enough to cover the cost of the fuel used to get them to the slaughterhouse.
So, by giving the farmer 25p per bird and taking them away for him, you are giveing him 20p per bird over the odds and saving him the cost of transport into the bargain. Just how is that supposed to persuade any farmer to give up battery farming?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

georgewoodman

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 20:11 »
I was one of the people who re-homed some ex batts on Saturday and am very happy to have done so.  

IMO the main reason for re-homing these birds is to save them from slaughter and try to make up for the first year of hell from humans.   If 25 pence each is the only way we can save some and the farmer makes an extra 20 pence then so be it.  

Farmers have to make a profit and if the government, supermarkets and general population insist on getting eggs and chicken dinners on the cheap, without a care for there welfare, thats not the fault of the farmer.

George

xx
Scotland- keeping hens in garden law

Started by Bryando on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 16:44
by Yorkie
xx
are my ex bats ok

Started by bunch29 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 15:49
by betty
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer
xx
ex bats

Started by kfoxey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 15:39
by cejx

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.