Stawberry advice

• 3 Replies

busterthehorse

Stawberry advice
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:23 »
I haven't got my plot yet ... So, to keep me interested for next year and beyond, depending on when it happens, I'm considering adapting the back garden a bit but without completely turning it into an allotment (it's not big enough for a start)

Here's the problem ... I've got about 8x4 yards at the back of the garden of strawberries (in full sun) With another 6x4 yards with some rhubarb and strawberries in in mainly shade - the rhubarb is ok but the strawberries in full sun are great but in shade are not very good (I've also got odd bits of radish and beetroot growing in between that are also doing ok). I'm planning on extending forward about 6 yards all across the garden to give me some more land to work with. Is it possible to transplant all the strawberries to the front because I would not want to shade them with taller plants ? The strawberries are about 3 years old maybe 4. Plus what would anybody suggest for the shaded half of the new area ?

I looked at it the other day and it would be (the strawberries) quite a lot of moving and I just wondered if it was the best way to go. I've tried to read up about new runners on strawberries and discarding things but to be honest it confuses me...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Stawberry advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:39 »
Your strawberries are sadly reaching the end of their useful life! :cry: It would be best to start with new plants.

You mention runners, there's no need to get confused.

Dig a small hole under a plantlet and drop a plant pot of compost, (or even soil!), in it. (Dropping it in a hole stops it from being knocked or blown over).

Peg the plantlet down in the pot. Keep moist.

After 5-6 weeks cut off the plantlet from the runner & plant out into final position.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

busterthehorse

Re: Stawberry advice
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:53 »
Thanks for the advice ...

I haven't been on here for a very long time but am now thinking about Spring !

I followed DD's advice and I've got about 25 Healthy FREE !!! plants .... :)

horsepooisgood

Re: Stawberry advice
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26 »
Hi buster, you just need to get yourself a cow now and make your own cream Mmmmmmmmm :D

xx
Stawberry popcorn.

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 23:14
by LotuSeed
xx
Frozen Stawberry Plants

Started by plot53b on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 19:56
by gavinjconway
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 36 queries.