jalapeno peppers

• 8 Replies

billycasper

jalapeno peppers
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:53 »
I have planted a couple of jalapeno peppers which are growing great and one has loads of flowers on it. But they seem to be flowering for ages with no sign of setting fruit.
They are in a greenhouse and someone has suggested that they are not getting pollenated by insect etc.. But i thought they were self pollenating (there is no indication on the packet). Am i been impatient ?Anyone grown peppers in a green house ? I do leave it open in the day

mike2niner4

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:57 »
I think peppers are like aubergenes as i have pepper plant and you get the flower buds, then they flower and then behind the flower ("Inside" the flower not like the stem at the back like a cucumber) and then it develops into a fruit from there.

billycasper

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 13:00 »
so i should just be patient ?? I dont need to do anything? .. like beg

mike2niner4

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 13:02 »
Well have any of the flowers dropped off or shrivelling up or anything? I havent pollonated my peppers and there in flower with one beautiful pepper on it...

Lardman

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 13:02 »
Dont panic Mr Mannering  :D

Flower drop is normal.  Younger plants tend to drop for a bit then get the hang of it.  (probably something to do with the plant not producing pollen yet - but that counts as science and Googles that way ----> )

I give the pots a kick when I walk past, I do the same for toms. You could take a soft paint brush around if you want but to be honest its really not worth the bother.  :) This time next month you'll be posting on how to use all the peppers you've got.

billycasper

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 13:07 »
Thanks for all your replies. Its the first time i've grown peppers and they all look healthy. I  just didnt want to waste all those lovely flowers if i needed to help them along.  Interestingly i have read somewhere else on the web that the setting of fruit is delayed by feeding. MMMM

daveinbracknell

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 23:11 »
Hi Billy,

I have jalapenos, all my flowers have set fruit, they grow out from centre of flowers like tom's. They do need pollinating (I rub the flower with my finger then rub the other flowers on the plant) otherwise the flowers will drop off, then the stem holding the bud goes yellow and drops off and no fruit, a bit like tom's.

My Jalapeno's are about 1cm long at the moment.

HTH

Dave

Fat Hen

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 23:43 »
If conditions are right they will set fruit.  Flower drop could be due to various reasons:-

Lack of pollination.
Too Dry.
Too humid.
Too much watering.
Too little watering.
Too hot (unlikely in our climate).
Too cold (at night highly likely in UK)

and so on .........

I help my chillis with a tickle with a soft artists brush, though many people don't bother and still get good results, kicking pots good too as will shake plant & release a cloud of pollen.

I Had 100% fruit set until a couple of weeks ago when weather changed to cooler & wetter, wich upset them for a while.

Also look out for greenfly around flower stem (they have a habit of hiding in the flowers), if they start sucking "blood" from flower stem then it will fail.

billycasper

jalapeno peppers
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 18:14 »
Brilliant, thanks for the reply. i will keep an eye for the evil green things and hopefully not water too much or too little.

xx
how tall will sweet and jalapeno peppers grow?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 20:55
by 3759allen
xx
I thought jalapeno but this is too hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 08:31
by Sharonx
xx
Jalapeno has just stopped growing - help!

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:57
by Mitsy
question
Jalapeno Chillies and Tomatoes

Started by Klaus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 18:18
by Elcie

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 36 queries.