polinating melons

• 4 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
polinating melons
« on: June 28, 2008, 20:45 »
How can you tell which are the male and which the female flowers? The books say the females have a small swelling behind the flower - but ALL the flowers have a small swelling behind them. I have attempted to pollinate the ones with almost imperceptibly larger swellings, with the ones with almost imperceptibly smaller swellings, but I don't think I'm doing it right. One or two flowers have just developed quite large swellings, and I don't know if these are the flowers that have been pollinated, and these are the little melons, or if they are the female flowers waiting to be pollinated... Or should I just hope that the bees do it? (They're in a greenhouse which has been closed most of the time as it's not very warm). I have two varieties: Sweetheart, and Ogen. :shock:
Rachael

Trillium

polinating melons
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 21:33 »
the female plants do have the swellings just behind the flower. Look for any that don't and dip a soft small paintbrush (artist type) onto the pollen head and gently dab at the others that don't seem as swollen. Plants won't double pollinate so don't worry about that part so long as they're done.

gobs

polinating melons
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 21:43 »
Every 7th to 10th flower will be female, so you will know when you see one, most likely these are all males. Like a tiny round pea you are looking for on the bottom of the flower, which is usually of marbled colouring.

I like to take the male off and peel the petals, to expose the pollen inside and rub that on the female flower.

Don't know sweetheart, but Ogen is very good, self-branching and produces freely, don't forget to stop it after a few 2-4 fruits set!

Also, be on guard as flowers only last a day.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mike2niner4

polinating melons
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:33 »
Do you HAVE to pollonate them for fruit?

Trillium

polinating melons
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 20:23 »
In a greenhouse situation, yes. Out in the open, no.

xx
Are peas self polinating?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 10:15
by mumofstig
xx
Hand polinating cherry flowers.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 18:21
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Melons

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:25
by flatcap
xx
melons!

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:02
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 36 queries.