Can you spot any probs with this plan for new patch?

• 5 Replies

She'sinthegarden

Hi
I've done some reading and this is my plan to sort out my new lotty. I'm hoping to pick your brains (ew!) so can anyone please spot any problems BEFORE I make them!! :)
State of play:
5 perch patch not worked for 2 years. Main weeds are horse's tail, some bindweed,docks and lots of others.
I've strimmed it and covered it with black plastic. I've got a bargain shed waiting to go up.
Plan is to leave the plastic down (but no idea how long for-autumn is the latest I'd have the patience to wait for, I think)
Also will have manure delivered and put on top of the plastic at the path end to rot down (will cover it over)
When I can't wait any longer, I'll fold the plastic back starting at the end away from the manure and make 3m by 1 meter raised beds double digging 1 at a time, using the manure as I go. I'm assuming the manure will rot in the soil and if I'm double digging, it won't burn roots?
(heavy clay soil is the reason for the double digging - also I'm planning a fair few permanent things so I want to get the soil right first off)

Any glaring faults with this, please?
S.i.t.g.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 14:48 »
Hi SitG

I've just cleared a 5 rod plot without the Mare's Tail thankfully.

Personally I would have strimmed than dug the rest out.

If your going to use black plastic I would put round up on first. You may need a few applications with the Mare's Tail so I'd paint it on.

Or, lift the plastic up & dig a bed at a time.

Remember, PUP!!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 17:21 »
If I still had the energy for digging that's what I'd do, except I'd make 4ft wide lazy beds. If it's been as dry where you are as it has been here recently you may need to slosh some water under the plastic to encourage the dead and dying weeds to rot down rather than getting presered by dehydration.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

gobs

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 19:37 »
You can't do else with clay soil till oct/nov time than hoe. Fact on ground, except last year.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mfconway

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 20:40 »
help, what is a rod and why is it called that, how big is a rod?

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 20:42 »
Thanks all
Pompey - what's PUP?  I thought about weedkiller but it would be sooo expensive as the horse's tail was everywhere. Also I want to go the chemical free route as far as possible. I thought I'd start with the beds that would have permanent planting (and 2 layers of weed suppressing membrane then a mulch over that). By the time I get to the last beds, the plastic would have more time to work on the nastier weeds.
Woodburner, the weather just before plastic laying was perfect - wet then a hot day when I strimmed, then pouring rain the day we laid the plastic. Should be steaming the weed roots nicely, but I'll have a check next time I go there just to be sure.

I'm ok with the manure part of the plan, though, am I?

xx
Already broken my cast-in-stone 'Patch' layout plan...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 05:40
by Growster...
xx
Brocolli probs

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 11:16
by muntjac
xx
Probs with Potatoes

Started by Caz4448 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 01:56
by gobs
xx
Pumpkin probs

Started by gathsman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 07:44
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 28 queries.