Cucumber rotting

• 5 Replies

ldavison10

Cucumber rotting
« on: June 26, 2008, 21:21 »
Hi, the base of my cucumber has started going rotten, like a dull brown colour. The leaves are wilting badly. It happened with my last cucumber and i cant afford 2 lose this one, my 2nd of 3! Will a repot and relevel of soil help? Thanks, lee

Brambles

Cucumber rotting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 21:48 »
I have had similar problem.  Have three plants growing in cold (though gets very warm during day) greenhouse.  Had very good crop of about 10 large cues.  Suddenly bottom leaves on two plants have rotted.  Some cues have stopped growing and rotted and the leaves are going yellow.... except one, which is still doing fine!  Feeding as tomatoes, they are doing great so far.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

compostqueen

Cucumber rotting
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 22:21 »
I lost two out of four but I suspect with mine it could have been overwatering, so my own silly fault. Doh  :oops:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cucumber rotting
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 22:29 »
They hate to get their stems wet so water the soil NOT the plant.  I have a mound of compost round the stems of mine so that they stay dry.  They also root into this soil from their stem.

I also sink a 2 litre lemonade bottle (with the base cut off) into the soil like a funnel and mainly water into that.

tommyboy

Cucumber rotting
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08 »
Are you really supposed to keep the plant dry because i thought they liked humidity so i have been spraying mine(the whole plant) twice a day since they had two leaves, and they seem to be doing ok, should i stop?.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cucumber rotting
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:27 »
It's the bottom of the stems where you get the problem, but generally I think it's best not to get too much on the plant anyway.

One of the recommened ways of increasing humidity is not to wet the plant itself, but the path in the greenhouse & whatever the pot/growbag etc. is standing on.

You can create a mini-climate by surrounding the plant with polythene.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Rotting Hay

Started by Solitaire on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:08
by woodburner
xx
Apples rotting

Started by jhub on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 08:56
by Alastair-I
clip
Rotting Tomotoes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2021, 20:31
by Sparkyweb
xx
Rotting Swedes!

Started by Degs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 20:10
by Degs

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 36 queries.