strawberry tower

• 4 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
strawberry tower
« on: June 26, 2008, 13:55 »
hello everyone.

The other week the girlfriend gave me a little tercotta pot for planting strawberrys in can hold 7 strawberry plants in all, this takes up a lot less space than the ones i have growing on a bed of straw.

now this got me thinking as not a single strawberry has managed to make it off the plot yet, and if i am ever going to make that strawberry jam i am going to need a lot more strawberrys with out taking up to much space.

so i thought the pot from the girlfriend was rather a good idea, and then wondered how high i could stack serveral on top of one another. then ruled this out when i found out they cost £10 each.

whildt bumbling round on the plot i was watching the buliders on the other side of the fence ( i am hoping to be ably to scrounge the glass windows they are taking out ) and one of them whilst carry some timber beams tore down the drain pipe, and i had an eureka moment.

If i take a drain pipe say 3m long turn it on its end burry about 50cm into the ground and drill holes into the side of it i could plant the strawberrys into that. now a friend pointed out that watering would be difficult so figured a length of hose pipe down the middle of the pipe with lots of drip holes in it would allow to be resonable evenly waterd.

what do you guys think will it work??

jack russell

strawberry tower
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 18:32 »
the drain pipe would have to be at least 6" dia (150mm) i think or maybee even more to be able to cut decent size holes in, but defo worth a try :wink:  pics would be good with an update  :D
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
strawberry tower
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 14:09 »
I had an idea a few weeks ago that might help. I haven't tried it yet so it might be unworkable, but it was to use guttering on multiple levels up a sunny wall and plant the strawbs in them so they hang over the edge.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
strawberry tower
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 15:02 »
the only problem i can see with that is i dont have a wall to put the guttering on, but probably would work really well though. i am hoipng the drain pipe will be free standing once i burry about a thrid of it in the ground that is.

had another idea and thats to get an old cupboard/wardrobe and attach it to the back of the shed (shady side) and then put a load of shelves in it and grow mushrooms in it, thinking of calling it a mushroom mine lol.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
strawberry tower
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 15:13 »
actually thinking about it i could build a free standing shelf system with the guttering that way i would have a wall of strawberrys not just a tower hmm or better yet i could place a strawberry drain pipe tower at either end with the guttering running between them, then i shoulod have loads of strawberrys, now that does sound like a plan.

xx
strawberry troughs

Started by Nogger on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 21:22
by Spana
xx
strawberry cage

Started by snow white on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 13:39
by grinling
xx
My new strawberry cage

Started by crowndale on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 17:09
by Petite graine
xx
Strawberry protection cage

Started by shokkyy on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 14:57
by grinling

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 29 queries.