Chick Play things

• 11 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« on: June 25, 2008, 15:56 »
Hi

Was just wondering if you have any ideas on things I could put in with my chicks to play with or am I being completely daft?  :shock:

Also I've started to put them outside on really warm days in a rabbit run (minus the rabit!).  They seem happy with this but is there a limit to the amount of time I should be putting them outside for?

backyardfarmer

Chick Play things
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 16:19 »
I'm no eggspert.. I let mine out at 6ish and they normaly tuck down at 21.30 I shut the door at 22.00 sometimes with a story somtimes without depend on how meny egg's there are. As for play things they have Me, a football size 5(better for sitting on) and a few old cd's (westlife) that belong to my wife. oh and a Eggbox360....
Hope this helps...Brooke

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 16:24 »
Ooops should I have mentioned that they are 3 weeks old?!!!  :shock:

Don't want to taint their minds with Egg Raider 3 just yet  :wink: :shock:

backyardfarmer

Chick Play things
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 16:31 »
Aghhhhh No football and the Eggbox360 is out of the question. I have heard that cd's are ok and the plastic practice golf balls are good fun..

Vember

Chick Play things
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 16:34 »
I put teddies with my babies for them to snuggle into, as long as nothing that can be pecked off easily :)

Also a few years ago I put a budgie swing in, the babies loved that   :wink:  :lol:

too many girls

Chick Play things
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:33 »
i put an old wardrobe door with a full length mirror on the inside (propped against the wall lengthways) in with mine, it's so funny watching Elvera (the bully) squaring up to herself and wondering why the other chicken looking back at her doesn't run away.......................

Skip

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:14 »
If I still had chooks, after tucking them in at night after being good all day and laying well etc I would be happy to reward them with a wee dram of top whiskey!  I'd have one with them too, of course, and chat about how their day was!
Skip, in Oz

poultrygeist

Chick Play things
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:25 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
i put an old wardrobe door with a full length mirror on the inside (propped against the wall lengways) in with mine, it's so funny watching Elvera (the bully) squaring up to herself and wondering why the other chicken looking back at her doesn't run away.......................

Genius !!

I must get an old mirror.  :D

Rob  8)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:34 »
Quote from: "Skip"
If I still had chooks, after tucking them in at night after being good all day and laying well etc I would be happy to reward them with a wee dram of top whiskey!  I'd have one with them too, of course, and chat about how their day was!

Sounds a great idea but I don't think I should be encouraging underage drinking just yet!  :shock:  :shock:

Skip

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58 »
Ahaaaa!  I agree!  At what age are chooks considered to be 'mature'?

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chick Play things
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:22 »
I would say Point of Lay but mine are a tender 3 weeks old today so we'll give the whiskey a miss for now, then toast their coming of age in 15 weeks time!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

blossom1044

Chick Play things
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:12 »
Mirros, Alcohol, football and eggbox 360!  What spoilt chickens.

errmmm can I talk?  :oops:

We have a large bunch of long grasses which DH has picked whilst on daily evening dog walk in fields that is tied to ceiling of run and our Rhode (Madras) loves to bash and peck it.  

We also have a pile 1" thick logs in a corner that the Blue Haze (Balti) sits on.

Then a ball of straw on the floor which the 2 Sussex (Korma and Jalfrezi) birds throw around.

Think might put a mirror in pen though.  Madras is a spirited chicken who might get an asbo soon, so a mirror might give her something to square up to!
new to hens
Thanks
T

xx
new babies gone out to play

Started by babe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 16:41
by babe
xx
Who uses play sand in their run?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 22:20
by ANHBUC
xx
Do chicks play?

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 19:55
by karlooben
xx
play sand for the girls

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 17:50
by karlooben

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 28 queries.