The downsides....

• 29 Replies

too many girls

The downsides....
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:29 »
know how you feel, i still look every day for my girls and Jake, i know in my heart that they're dead, we've seen the fox a few times and had a pop at him, (nearly got him tonight)  but he always gets away, my dad now believes i'll never be able to let the remaining ones free range again, he said "don't believe for one second that that fox doesn't know there are chickens in the stables, the minute you let them out he'll get them, it doesn't help that they don't stay together but go off in all directions, if we fail to get the fox i feel i'll have to rehome them, i can't keep them shut up for much longer, it's not fair, they're no better off than they were before i got them.

Foxy

The downsides....
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 09:12 »
Could you use electric fencing?
Our neighbours lost every hen last year used to let them free range from the stables in the morning, then, one by one over roughly 3 weeks they all were taken. They then got hold of an old second hand shed stuck nest boxes in and a perch popped it out in the paddock with a 50m poultry net, hey presto not one bird has been taken. They have an automatic door opener on too (when they say how useful ours was!) so dont have to traipse down there first thing in the morning although obviously they take good care of them!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
The downsides....
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 09:17 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
Maybe if we didnt have a dog that hoovered up all the chicken poo from the lawn I would have a different list!

I felt queasy after reading this.... you don't really mean that he.....?  :puker:

too many girls

The downsides....
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29 »
foxy, mine have a hen house in a paddock ajoining the house, there's enough room for laying and sleeping but too small for them to stay in permanently or untill we get the fox, a pen big enough for 29 is going to have to be enormous, i don't want to pen them up, we live on a farm and i think they should be able to free range during the day without fear of the fox ( i do lock them up at night) i have kept hens before, they were even further away than the cow shed ( there was a cow in it then) pre hunting ban we never had a problem with foxes, i'm going to ring the local hunt kennels today and see if they can help me. i know i'm going to ruffle a few feather saying this but this fox has to go.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
The downsides....
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Maybe if we didnt have a dog that hoovered up all the chicken poo from the lawn I would have a different list!

I felt queasy after reading this.... you don't really mean that he.....?  :puker:

We once got our lounge carpet replaced on insurance when a visiting dog decided to hoover up the packages our cat left on our lawn and regurgitate them all over our lounge carpet.  The insurance people refused to come and look at it surprisingly.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Sorry its sick but true.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
The downsides....
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58 »
Yup its true - only our smaller dog does it but he eats everything!!

I remember going on a school trip to a waterfowl sanctury when i was little and vomiting - then the ducks came and gobbled it up! wierd animals!

The fox has got into our littlest coop at the allotment today - he has taken two 8 week old speckled sussex chicklets. However, these were looking very much like boys so not too devastating, but still a horrible way to go. I suppose you can only hope they die quickly of the shock as they are prone to do (something about their normal running blood pressure being so high anyway that small increases cant be tolerated?)

Foxy

The downsides....
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37 »
I would imagine it would have been quick for them...so sorry though :(

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
The downsides....
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01 »
Still horrible though.  Really feel for you.  Not nice at all.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
The downsides....
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 17:26 »
Sorry to hear that  :cry:

I suppose that is the biggest downside of having chooks; having to make the place like fort knox just to keep the damned fox out  :evil:

niccid

The downsides....
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 22:54 »
Does putting them in the coop every night not keep them safe? Mine will have a coop with a run attached, and if a fox did manage to dig under (unlikely, but), aren't they safe in a good secure coop? Sorry if this might sound like a dumb question but I need to do all I can BEFORE I get my chooks.

All advice and comments welcome.
If you don't buy free-range, CLUCK OFF

Porffor

The downsides....
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 23:00 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"

:lol: i'd be nodding if you were talking about my dogs.. they'll eat rabbit, guinea pig and even horse 'droppings'  :shock: Needless to say they are not allowed to lick me!

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
The downsides....
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 22:08 »
niccid - regarding your query as to whether a fox could get into as closed coop - I always assumed yes unless precautions were taken.  I have removed the handle on the pop hole as it has an actuator on it so I can't lock it.  This way the fox has nothing to help open the door.  I have also made sure the roof is kept well maintained and is very sturdy so it can't be easily opened.  The nest boxes are also well weighted.  Sure if they are determined enough they may still get in but there is only so much you can do.  Just keep an eye on the run and make sure its well maintained.

Tessh

The downsides....
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 11:32 »
The downside......

Sometimes people just don't understand you...... :?

Last night a friend told me I was cruel, :shock:  why, because I raise table birds.

The reason, no, its not that their confined to a run or she thinks their not looked after properly. Its because she "knows" my birds so its cruel to eat them but she doesn't "know" the broiler chickens from the shops, so its ok to eat them.  :roll:

How do you argue with such logic?

Jellyhead

The downsides....
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 12:02 »
easy, your birds are well looked after from start to finish, 100% sure of that, can you say the same about shop bought birds..........I dont think so :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Kate and her Ducks

The downsides....
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 18:02 »
Quote from: "Tessh"
The downside......

Sometimes people just don't understand you...... :?

Last night a friend told me I was cruel, :shock:  why, because I raise table birds.

The reason, no, its not that their confined to a run or she thinks their not looked after properly. Its because she "knows" my birds so its cruel to eat them but she doesn't "know" the broiler chickens from the shops, so its ok to eat them.  :roll:

How do you argue with such logic?

You can't as its not logic, it's an emotive reponse that has not been thought through at all.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.