First harvest and update from Southern Sweden...

• 2 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« on: June 24, 2008, 22:02 »
...where the weather is very odd indeed!!

Went down to the plot for the first time in several days. We've had terrible storms with lightning and everything, and hail!
The damage wasn't as bad as I'd feared, but I made a shelter around the tomato plants and put fleece over the peppers and chilis as they are still only wee.
I harvested LOTS of broccoli-raab some of which I plan to saute tomorrow, with garlic and a good olive oil on top, eat it smashed up on a crunchy bruschetta with scrambled egg on the side, my childhood favourite, *drool*
Also got nearly a carrier bag of radishes, next year will only plant a half packet of seed. They are corkers though, we got a mixed seed so some are long and red, some all red, some red and white, some long and white, and some purple! Will give lots to friends tomorrow.
Thinned the carrots and beetroot and will eat up the little carrots just barely steamed with butter, and the beetroot leaves as a warm salad.
Ate some lovely raspberries, but not enough to pick yet really.

Potatoes doing well, all three sorts. French beans okay, broad beans flowering, peas still a joke. Covered them with net- rabbits, up yours!

Herb bed slowly but surely taking shape, and the new border of celery root will be interesting to follow! It was beginner's luck that the seed germinated as well as it did, and then I forgot them out on the plot in the little pots and it took off like a rocket. Planted them out today so fingers crossed.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 22:07 »
Nice to know that Sweden gets warm enough for crops  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 22:11 »
Sounds very, very good. Always wondered, what you could grow there... pretty much sounds like here then. :lol:

Red, red radish, half a lot into a big jar of natural yogurt and let it ferment for a couple of days in the fridge, stir sometimes. And then enjoy. Lovely pink, what shall I call you with your sandwich, roast etc. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Update from Southern Sweden 2

Started by gardgydja on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 22:38
by gardgydja
xx
Update from Southern Sweden

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium
xx
Update from Southern Sweden 2

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 11:18
by jazzbyrd
xx
Leeks - when to sow seed in cold conservatory in Southern England?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 21:42
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 36 queries.