Have you seen this?

• 33 Replies

peggyprice

Have you seen this?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 13:53 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
They should have at least got someone in from RSPCA who looked in the least bit bothered!! She seemed to be supporting the farm and the RSPCA's actions in accrediting it!

From a PR point of view the right thing to do in these circumstances is demonstrate immediately how seriously you're taking the allegations and that you welcome any serious investigation.  Unfortunately, as (I guess) the PR spokesperson it didn't look to me as though she'd had a very strong brief from her senior management.

This is the latest comment from the RSPCA ... http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=FreedomFoodHomepage&marker=1&articleId=1213709275578

Just on a separate point - I've never had any connection with the national RSPCA, but a lot of people don't realise that at least some of the local RSPCAs are actually separate charities.  

Certainly Sheffield RSPCA is a completely separate, albeit linked, charity and I can vouch for the fact that all the staff there have worked for years in cramped, difficult conditions in order to give the best possible support they can to  unwanted animals.  

They do have to have rules about how they can accept stray or abandoned animals because of the legalities of ownership etc.; it's not always easy to get that message across to people who just think they should take in every puppy or kitten that they find.
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Have you seen this?
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 14:15 »
At least when people come here, whether to buy chicks, POL's or their dinner!!  They can see the chickens running (or in the case of the meat birds, waddling) around!!!!  

I'd like them to have even more room to roam, but people say we have a nice little set up here, and they can see the birds are happy and healthy!

That farmer should be ashamed of himself.  And when the farm worker said that they'd ordered 13 tonnes of feed and only 1 ton was delivered, well I don't know where they get their feed, but BOCM deliver in our area 3 times a week and we have never been short delievered, even though we only buy 1 or 2 tonne at a time, and for 13 tonne, they would have sent out another lorry I'm sure, especially where birds are concerned!

Brian fancied going out for an hour, so we popped down to Baytree Garden Centre.  In the middle of the pet food section, there was a chicken coop and run, with 2 speckledy's in it. £19.95 EACH they wanted for them!!  and they had no water.  the small red drinker was on its side and at first I thought they'd spilt it, but there was no water around it, so I went to see an assistant, and told her the chickens had no water and it was really hot inside the centre too, and she just said oh I'll go and tell 'her'.  Not sure who 'her' was, but surely anyone could have gone and got the drinker and filled it up?  Anyway, we stood there for several minutes, then the assistant that I'd told walked over to the run, so we carried on with what we were doing, but as we walked away, so did the assistant, but she didn't have the drinker with her!

Think I'll contact them and make sure they've done something about it!!!!

Jellyhead

Have you seen this?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 17:53 »
Then there was the case of all those horses taken from a guy as they were malnourished :evil: I heard recently that he got away with it and they gave the animals back to him :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: it makes me so angry when the people who we expect to help animals just dont seem to give a damn. I have to say that I just refuse to donate to the RSPCA any more and tend to give to the little charities that take in the strays (finding room whatever) and not charging an arm and a leg to rehome them :D of course I dont do much anymore at all in the UK as I dont visit very often and have my own problems here taking in strays  :roll:  :lol:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Kate and her Ducks

Have you seen this?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 23:02 »
Just seen on the news that following the recent news coverage the RSPCA will be suspending the farm from their freedom foods certification. Thank goodness someone looks but thought it was the job and the whole point of the scheme that the RSPCA identified these crimes not a jounalist. Maybe I should make my donation to 5 news.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Have you seen this?
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 23:16 »
I've only just seen this.  I wanted to shoot the RSPCA representative.  How dare she look so glib?  True humility is what is called for in this incident.  'We got it wrong'.  But I'm left not knowing who to trust when I buy my next chicken for us to eat. :evil:  :evil:

GrannieAnnie

Have you seen this?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 23:19 »
If you were a bit nearer fifi, you could buy one of ours!  At least people can come and see them waddling around before they go 'oven ready'!!!!!  And the egg layers are in another run, with the Babcock's in the middle run!!!!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Have you seen this?
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 23:32 »
Well I'm enjoying my own eggs these days!  But do your 'growers' fit in the post?  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Have you seen this?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 23:35 »
that footage is sickening and both the farm and the RSPCA ought to be very ashamed  :evil:

I'm sorry to say though, it's not as gut wrenching as the KFC secret footage I saw a few years ago...

GrannieAnnie

Have you seen this?
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 23:52 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
Well I'm enjoying my own eggs these days!  But do your 'growers' fit in the post?  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

LOL, yes, but they'd probably cost a bit to post, they are a bit big now!!! lol

I'm supposed to be looking into it, as Brian is keen to send our oven ready's all over!!!!!  the only thing is, that if we got a lot of orders, we'd need to start growing a lot more chooks QUICKLY!!!!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:

But you can get polystyrene boxes and cold packs to keep them cool, then pay for next day delivery!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Have you seen this?
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 07:14 »
When OH was a lad (living in London) his relatives in Scotland used to send 2 dead chickens (whole) down to them on a train for their Christmas dinner.  

We're forced to treat food with such clinical hygiene silliness these days !

Mind you, you can't send anything by train nowadays either  :roll:

compostqueen

Have you seen this?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 08:30 »
our local RSPCA is a separate charity too and gets no dosh from the main lot.  They are a good bunch of peeps and are very well regarded locally which is how it should be

Glad to hear the RSPCA got its act together over that footage. Bout time!

GrannieAnnie

Have you seen this?
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 10:22 »
Last night saw a lady on Downsizer forum sells her free rangers for £4.60/kg and posts them by courier, will have to have a word with her about the packaging she uses.  One person had 10 from her and wanted more and they were JA757's too!!!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Have you seen this?
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:11 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

there was a chicken coop and run, with 2 speckledy's in it. £19.95 EACH they wanted for them!!  and they had no water.  the small red drinker was on its side and at first I thought they'd spilt it

sounds just like jimmys farm on sunday.

long story as to why i was at jimmys farm.... not proud of my self  :?

anyway, big sign saying that they have rare breeds, so we all forked out the £3.50 each to go into what is described as a nature trail  :roll:

lovely big area of lush green grass fenced off for the chickens, wonderful.

shame the chickens arent allowed out in it, they are crammed into teeny little arks and not a rare breed in sight.

no food, no water. and one hen in with a cockerel had such a bare sore back, he's obviously been having a whale of a time at her expense.

all of them are tatty looking chickens and as jimmy is a patron of the BHWT its absolutely disgusting that he's not showing the public a better example of how they should be cared for and how beautiful they can be.

such a shame  :cry:

mumsy

Have you seen this?
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 20:02 »
The farm in Norfolk has been suspended from the RSPA today

GrannieAnnie

Have you seen this?
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

there was a chicken coop and run, with 2 speckledy's in it. £19.95 EACH they wanted for them!!  and they had no water.  the small red drinker was on its side and at first I thought they'd spilt it

sounds just like jimmys farm on sunday.

long story as to why i was at jimmys farm.... not proud of my self  :?

anyway, big sign saying that they have rare breeds, so we all forked out the £3.50 each to go into what is described as a nature trail  :roll:

lovely big area of lush green grass fenced off for the chickens, wonderful.

shame the chickens arent allowed out in it, they are crammed into teeny little arks and not a rare breed in sight.

no food, no water. and one hen in with a cockerel had such a bare sore back, he's obviously been having a whale of a time at her expense.

all of them are tatty looking chickens and as jimmy is a patron of the BHWT its absolutely disgusting that he's not showing the public a better example of how they should be cared for and how beautiful they can be.

such a shame  :cry:

That's terrible Babe, how can he do something like that, after all the stuff he spouts about looking after animals and giving them a good life?  What the hell are they doing in little tiny arks?  Stupid man!!!!!

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 37 queries.