Pen floor & cleaning?

• 11 Replies

blossom1044

Pen floor & cleaning?
« on: June 23, 2008, 20:28 »
Dh says he doesn't want to get on hands and knees to clean pen every day.  as you can see in this pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27874888@N02/2600760614/

The pen is on concrete/tarmac.  This is the new site.  Before the chooks were on the grass and in a smaller pen which we'd lift and move to rake up droppings. Also there was less droppings in the coup as they were more free range. Since the fox took them we'd move the pen.  Now on hard patio surface we've put down wood shavings - easibed.  Pain to clean the poop as have to get on hands and knees in the access end (bit with ropes on) to scoop them up once chickens are in bed (almost dark).  Also when fully cleaning we'd have to rake & shovel chipings out which having a rabbit run it is back breaking work.

Right my question - Could we adapt the floor of the pen by using pull out draws?  Will wood floor hurt the chickens feet when they scratch?

I'm not bothered with the cleaning at the moment, but DH has an idea and detailed plan on how to improve the daily cleaning routine.  As usual he's a man that has cleaned the chicken house 1 out of 3 nights & complained that it was hard work!  I have to clean rabbit out daily which means bending over and shoveling her "debris" out in and taking to compost bin.  It can be hard work.  Currently as there is no rain I have no problem in doing this, but I can see that in the rain I might object to getting on my hands and knees for 15 minutes where as with trays we can pull out and clean a little easier.  I know I've come in from doing the rabbit and got very wet!

I am not totally convinced in the whole plan which is why I am sounding you guys out!
new to hens
Thanks
T

dawnsmith

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 20:54 »
Hi Blossom

Is it possible for you to adapt the top of your run so it lifts off?

Or maybe build a whole new run that you can walk into? You would still be able to use the same coop, and maybe recycle the run so that you use it if you ever need to separate a hen from the rest.
Dawn
x

blossom1044

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 21:03 »
I don't fancy makinf a new pen and I don't want a walk in pen as the area where chickens are will mean I then wouldn't be able to see my whole garden from house.

I suggested the lifting off and coup and pen do seprate, but DH thinks the floor idea will be easier to do.  I'm just not sure about the effect on the hens feet?

They are in there most of the day at the moment as we won't be able to free range until dogs and chickens are settled in.  I'm not sure how that would work either as before chickens were at far end of garden & dogs at other.  see this for what I mean http://www.flickr.com/photos/27874888@N02/2599834465/

poultrygeist

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 21:12 »
Hi blossom,

Cold you not put down a few inches of wood chippings (chunky stuff) and leave it for a few weeks, or at least a few days ?

The poop should just work its way down through the mass and they'll be able to scratch in it for beetles and insects.

Rob  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 21:20 »
I was wondering that Rob.

Why do you need to clean the run out every day ?  

How many hens do you keep in it ? I'd say it looks big enough for 2-3 chickens.  

Do they have to stay in their all the time or do they range around your garden most of the time ?

Poolfield2

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 22:46 »
Hi Blossom, just looked at your photo, garden looks great. I can't see that a wooden floor would hurt their feet if concrete doesn't. :?

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:37 »
I used to worry about cleaning the run, since then I have put about a 3in deep layer of woodchips in their run and add covers if the weather is bad so it don't get all wet as this cause's the smelly's.
Katt

daz

• Experienced Member
Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42 »
get a garden vac and suck it all out lol

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53 »
Quote from: "daz"

Daz you come up with the most AMAZING ideas  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

too many girls

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 19:52 »

why not just use a dyson?

poultrygeist

Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 20:05 »
Or get a dog and let it have a great time in there !

it'll be clean in no time  :shock:

...it's what dogs do.  :roll:

Rob  8)

daz

• Experienced Member
Pen floor & cleaning?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 20:09 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"

Daz you come up with the most AMAZING ideas  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yep just as long as someone else tries em 1st lol

xx
Deep cleaning the aviary floor.

Started by whistler on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 21:03
by whistler
xx
run floor

Started by samuria on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 20:24
by grinling
xx
Floor of the Run - What do you use?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 11:21
by dennis
question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 29 queries.