Egg bound duck

• 3 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Egg bound duck
« on: June 23, 2008, 17:15 »
Now luckally this turned out to be a false alarm but last night I got really worried about one of my girls. Not at all herself and a lot of her symptoms seemed like they could fit with being egg bound. Unfortunately was working nights so had to leave her overnight but while at work read all the post I could about treatment. Luckally came back this morning and she seems much better. Not sure she has laid as they are all in together but much more herself.
My query is does anyone have any duck specific advice just in case it happens in the future. Most of the advice seems to start with soaking them up to their mid chest in warm water and there in lies the difficulty I was anticipating this morning with a bouyant duck. :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

Egg bound duck
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 18:36 »
A thing I used when in a similar situation was a small animal feeding bottle filled with oil pop it in the hole and squirt, sounds bizzare but it got the oil just where needed an egg was soon out :)

It was like this one got it from local petshop

Hope that helps Kate, glad she's better now :D

Kate and her Ducks

Egg bound duck
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 18:53 »
Ooo good idea. Had been thinking about a suppository as well. Glad I don't have to do anything at the moment but it got me wondering...

Foxy

Egg bound duck
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 19:24 »
Hi Kate - feed her chopped dandelion leaves, they are a good source of calcium for her which is what she needs right now.
You can also buy "Calcivet" which is an easily digestible calcium supplement for birds (I use 5ml in a handful of mixed corn) If you have any cod liver oil mix that in some feed for her too.
She needs calcium to help her muscles contract to expel the egg as well as preventing it happening again!
Good luck!!!

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
pol egg bound

Started by greenjay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 06:52
by New shoot
xx
Egg Bound

Started by GREEN FINGERED NOT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 16:10
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Egg bound

Started by tonethebone on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 15:48
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 28 queries.