newby...some questions...

• 16 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« on: June 23, 2008, 15:35 »
Hi,

I have a terraced house which has a small, block paved, yard - 4mx4m.

I've been wanting to keep chickens for a long time and have read up on things but I still have a few questions. I'm going to build my own henhouse (approx. 1m x 0.7m with 2 or 3 nest boxes - I think that should be large enough for up to 6 hens comfortably?). The house will be on 'stilts' so will be off the ground by approx 0.5m with a retractable 'ramp' for the chucks to get in. The house will have a run encorporating the area under the house and approx 2mx0.7m in front of the house. The run is just for times when we are not at home during the day. The chickens will have the run of the yard as I am going to turf the whole thing ready for them but I wondered whether it was worth keeping the area under the house as bark chippings or similar to keep the chucks feet a bit cleaner prior to entering the house? Is Grass the best terrain for them or should I put gravel? bark chippings etc?

The fencing of the yard is 6foot plus so I'm not anticipating any escapees!

Also, I'm thinking of having half rescue battery hens and half pure breeds would anyone envisage any problems with that as an idea?

Cheers

Mick

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 15:42 »
Welcome to the forum 8)

I'm not an expert on chooks but I'm sure someone will be along in no time. From what I understand hens love grass but that in a pretty small space and without much room to move things round, you won't have grass for long if you do decide to turf it. Might be better to go for the bark chips. Sure an expert will be along soon.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 16:45 »
I agree with Kate, grass isn't going to last long, even the rest of the yard will not last long if you let them out much, although a little exposure to their scratching and fertilising is very good for a lawn. ;)  

I have heard that bark is not good, but I can't remember why. Gravel and woodchip get mentioned favourably though. I wouldn't worry about them taking muck into the house though as they poo where they roost anyway.

The main problem with getting any particular kind of chickens is actually finding any!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

FCG

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 19:03 »
Woodburner i would like your hens if they only poo where they roost... i've only had mine 3 days and they have pooed literally everywhere. Managed to fill a extra large 'I cant belive it's not butter' tub before with 3 days worth.

Still -rubs hands- fertiliser!

I'm no expert at any length, but my run is nearly stripped of grass so yes yours will go quickly if you turf it and don't replace. I plan to cover mine in bark/chips (i don't know which is best) when that happens. Remember to treat the ground occasionally in so small an area to prevent ammonia build up.

Mickwood about your question about ex-batts and pure breeds, i would say to you don't get ex-batts as your first foray into chickens at all as they need some extra TLC and a lot more time than normal to settle in and adapt to the new surroundings. I have 3 hybrids that admittedly won't live as long as a pure breed (or so i'm told) but are excellent layers. I would highly recommend hybrids in your situation but pure breeds are good too. It's al about personal taste.

Also, where are you located?

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 19:09 »
It doesnt sound a very big coop and run for 6 hens.  :? They would be pretty cramped for space I think. 3 would be ok.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 19:45 »
You think 1m x 0.7m is only big enough for 3? really? I saw a house measuring 109cm x 66cm which was advertised as large enough for 6? They had another for 12 chickens at 113cm x 96cm?? (which I didn't think was that much bigger??

Hmmm....maybe I'll re-think the size (I'm building it myself so can adapt it to suit - I'd want a Max of 6 hens but for them to be happy and comfortable, NOT squashed in!)

So....the turf question...Do you think bark inside the run and turf on the lawn?

Mick

I live in the Chesterfield area btw

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 20:00 »
I agree with RubyRed, run size should be 1msq per bird. Coop size should be 1ftsq per bird and that is an absolute minimum.
As long as the bark is fresh it should be OK-although check the contents some contacts shredded cocoa,also some bark contains fungal spores which in a small enclosed run might cause a problem.
 Mine have a thick layer of woodchips  mixed with bark in part of their run which compacts nicely as compost.
Oh sorry, welcome to the Henhouse!!!!

FCG

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 20:58 »
Another point, what do you want chickens for? 6 may be too many if you just want eggs for the family.

Oh and sorry i forgot : Welcome!

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 21:19 »
Hi mickwood. Welcome.

We've got 6 in a coop about 30"x34" plus exterior nestbox and it's just about big enough. Their run is about 16sq metres (from memory!) and I'd like it bigger.

They were on grass but now on dirt with wood chippings on top. They scratch a lot and like to make dust baths by mining down to Australia.

Most days we get 6 eggs and rarely less than 5. I would have thought for your setup, 3 would be better, at least initially. The shops always exaggerate the capacity of their houses for some reason. Makes them seem better value maybe.

Hope you get sorted.

Rob  :)

PJM

Backyard hens
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 21:20 »
Hi Mick, I live in a similar sized house to yours in Nottingham city centre. My garden is probably slightly larger but not by much. I have a coop 3' wide x 4' long, and keep 6 Bantam hens. the floor of the coop I cover with dust free wood shavings, on the outside run I use bark chippings and have had no problems so far. Every two months I rake up what is left of the bark chippings, and dig over the soil in the run, others suggest a sprinkling of lime although I have not done this yet. Mine have the run of the garden when I am around, but are kept enclosed in the run when I am not (incedently, I keep my run door padlocked when I am not aroundfor extra security) at home. mine can fly up onto the run roof 7' high and the pergola 8' high, so don't rely on a 6' fence to keep them in  :lol:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 21:57 »
Thanks guys and gals!  :D

PJM, sounds like your in a similar position to me then, so sounds reassuring to know it can be done!

Think I'll go for bark on the run floor, woodshavings in the coop and grass outside the run for the chickens to come out onto (No one's mentioned it yet, but I think the change of terrain would possibly be more stimulating for the chickens?)

With the size of my coop, think I'll start with 3 chooks and see how they go - adding to the family if it looks possible! I only want the chooks for the eggs and the limited move towards self sufficiency it allows.

(poultrygeist - like ya tagline! buddhist by any chance? or just appreciate the wisdom?)

Mick

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 22:06 »
Deffo not buddhist ! Or any other starsign !  :wink:
Just like the sound of it. 'til I get bored then I'll change it.  :)

Think you've made some wise decisions there. Well done for starting small. You'll be bullied into expanding before long.  :D

Rob  8)

FCG

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 22:32 »
Sounds like you are sorted there Mickwood. Small suggestion, how about straw in the coop with shavings for the nest box? I have and it makes it easier to clean somewhat.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 23:05 »
Yep, all sorted!! :D

until I get the li'l beauties and MORE questions arise!  :lol:

My girlfriend said straw...hmmm.....if it's easier on the cleaning front...put my name down!

I'll let you all know how it goes...may even post up some pics!

Right...now...gotta rip up the block paving, lay the lawn, build the coop and get the chooks......
......may be some time..... :lol:

Thanks!

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 23:23 »
the chipped bark is what's recommended for chooks, the large size chippings though, which is says on the bag  :D  They  do get trashed as the birds are constantly raking them over so they need replacing.  My first bag only lasted a month in all that wet weather. The second lot are lasting longer but I've been covering the run to keep the rain off it, and their feet dryer  :D

I get 21 eggs a week from my 3 brown hybrids.  I run a B & B so get through loads but still sold some the other day, gave my hairdresser four and made a loads of buns  :D   If you have six hens you'll have eggs coming out your ears  :D

Good luck with it all. What fun  :D

xx
Which are quiet chickens and a few other newby questions.

Started by newhen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 12:37
by nzdunn
xx
Newby Chicken/Duck

Started by Dagi on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:48
by joyfull
xx
Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!

Started by StephRF on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:42
by ANHBUC
xx
A newby Chicken owner saying Hello

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 19:54
by cbv8

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.