A plum problem

• 4 Replies

dug

A plum problem
« on: June 20, 2008, 20:59 »
I would love to plant a 'stone' fruit tree but our next door neighbour who is not interested in any form of gardening has one dead and another dying plumb tree in his garden. The trees have all the signs of that stone fruit disease that I can't think of a name for. Previously I tried a flowering cherry (9 years ago) which survived for a couple of years then withered and died one spring.
So the question is, am I doomed to never having a plumb tree or is there a new resistant strain or even a chemical preventative treatment?

dug

peterjf

plum tree
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 21:17 »
hi there , i think your neighbours plum trees have a desese and if you plant your tree it could be transfered via the wind , birds , why not suggest to your neighbour that he burns his plum trees , or even better , suggest that you could burn the trees for him ,

lincspoacher

A plum problem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 21:25 »
I have a book on fruit trees here, the list of diseases that plums can get is two pages long :(

Cherry's  get a root canker which can spread to all the other cherries for about 100 feet, wonder if these have something similar. If so, I certainly wouldn't plant another plum tree.

Is there any signs of fungus or toadstools ? Are the branches rotting in the middle ?

dug

Re: plum tree
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 21:46 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
hi there , i think your neighbours plum trees have a desese and if you plant your tree it could be transfered via the wind , birds , why not suggest to your neighbour that he burns his plum trees , or even better , suggest that you could burn the trees for him ,[/quote

I am certain his tree's are diseased, the problem is is that he is a sort of 'anti' gardener in as much as his garden is a jungle of dead trees and rampant undergrowth. It would be no easy job to do, let alone try and explain the whys and wherefores to him. That is why I am hoping for some sort of resistant tree or chemical treatment.

dug

lincspoacher

Re: plum tree
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "dug"
Quote from: "peterjf"
hi there , i think your neighbours plum trees have a desese and if you plant your tree it could be transfered via the wind , birds , why not suggest to your neighbour that he burns his plum trees , or even better , suggest that you could burn the trees for him ,[/quote

I am certain his tree's are diseased, the problem is is that he is a sort of 'anti' gardener in as much as his garden is a jungle of dead trees and rampant undergrowth. It would be no easy job to do, let alone try and explain the whys and wherefores to him. That is why I am hoping for some sort of resistant tree or chemical treatment.

dug

Thats why we need more clues to work out what it is.

If its a root canker, or honey fungus, forget it. Thats why we need a peek in the branches and a clue as to the presence of fungi.

xx
Plum problem!

Started by Carrie3 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:28
by Carrie3
xx
Plum problem

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 16:18
by allotmentann
clip
Problem with my plum tree.

Started by Iecabus on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 14:21
by Iecabus
xx
Plum Fan Plan Problem

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 10:10
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 35 queries.