Anyone got any cheap ideas?

• 5 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« on: June 18, 2008, 16:31 »
Hi All

we have our tomatoes in 10" pots in the greenhouse.  We bought some plant pot dishes (not sure what you call them) to go under the pots for watering.  They were a really good price from this shop near my mum's (several hundred miles away) but as you can guess I got no where near enough - now I need lots more and the price in the likes of B&Q is shocking, I have looked for cheap picnic plates but none are big enough.

I guess what I am asking has anyone any ideas what to use that is cheap it would need to be at least 9" accross for the pot to fit with some water.

cheers

willnbirdie

gobs

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 16:35 »
Old chipped plates. Disposable bake ware, aka foil like, can paint it if you wish.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

daz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 16:42 »
you could always try cheap bin bags or similar polythene bags as long as they have no holes

put the bag down and pop the pot in it with something underneath to raise it slightly then tie up or tape up the bag around the pot and leave a little bit for adding water and dont over fill or it will probably just burst

dunno if this will work or not as it just thought of it now but the theory's sound lol

jack russell

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 17:20 »
have you tried freecycle :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 17:33 »
try some charity shops they always seem to have a basket full of chipped plates etc. for 5 or 10 p -  maybe they would work.

ratman

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 20:02 »
Look up a local house or rubbish clearance firm, they put them in the skip by the truckload. They have to pay to tip them at landfill so any you take saves them the cost of tipping. Chances are if you ask them they will most likely get hold of exactly what you are after anyway.
My mate used to do this and there was barely nothing he could not get hold off !!!!

xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
Cheap veg growing??

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 08:05
by kermit
xx
Cheap Seeds?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 14:46
by pdblake
xx
Cheap Seed

Started by Spon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 20:04
by Nogger

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 37 queries.