Electric hen

• 10 Replies

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Electric hen
« on: June 18, 2008, 14:13 »
My electric hen arrived this morning so I have got it switched on and I'm just trying to get the temp right before I let the little one under it.

Anyone have any advice or experience of one of these?

animal mad

• Experienced Member
Re: Electric hen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 15:34 »
have you tried it yet i am thinking about buying one, for 2 week old hybrid chicks

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 15:58 »
I have two, one has adjustable legs so I have the back legs a bit lower than the front.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 16:14 »
do you think this is better than a heat lamp. i am getting my first chicks on friday they will be 2 weeks old and looking for the best way to rear them, how big is your box for them.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 16:40 »
The box looks like a single or double kitchen cupboard carcase.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 16:50 »
The box looks like a single or double kitchen cupboard carcase.

spot on! ;) :D

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 17:01 »
I like electric hens, no worries about bulbs blowing, and apparently they use a lot less electric. :)

This is one that I have :)

Electric hen

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 21:16 »
Don't know what I was expecting of an electric hen but I thought it would be fluffier!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 21:29 »
Don't know what I was expecting of an electric hen but I thought it would be fluffier!

maybe something like this?? apparently she laid eggs too!! :D :D

soup dragon[url/]

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 21:56 »
those babies are just gorgeous  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: , i had never heard of a electric hen before hehehehehehe i thought u meant a hen getting electcuted  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: soryyyyyyyyyyy
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:49 »
I love my electric hen... it doesn't peck or growl at you when you want to coo over the chicks unlike a real pellet-powered hen, and, unlike heat lamps, it won't blow up and leave you with cold dead chicks  :(

Upsides: The chicks seem really happy under it and like having somewhere to hide.  They look sooooo cute popping their heads out of it to see what's going on.  I do what Foxy does and have two legs longer than the others to accommodate bigger chicks.

Downsides: my Polands end up with wee flat crests for a while!  Also my hen isn't very big (30cm square I think) so while its ok for a while they still end up under a heat lamp after a couple of weeks because they outgrow it.  I do also find myself checking it whenever I'm, in the barn because, unlike the lamps, you can't see it's working... and I may be a little paranoid.

Trick is to get the hen adjusted so when the chicks stand up their backs touch the hot plate.  You then raise it up a bit every couple of days as they grow.  Works a treat.

If you want to go for a heat lamp why not try the ceramic bulbs. They are much more reliable than the glass ones and last longer too - makes up for them being a bit more expensive.

Oh I keep my chicks in a makeshift brooder too which is about the size of a double kitchen wall cupbard carcass but is an old wooden packing crate I found in the barn.  It takes up to 30 bantam chicks quite happily until they are about 14 days old then they are moved to an old ginuieueiee (I can never ever spell that) pig run.   :D  Chicks are fab
Mad chicken woman

xx
electric fence

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 07:20
by animal mad
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 22:42
by babe
xx
Electric Fencing

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 09:17
by Mrs Bee
xx
electric fencing

Started by spikesgrandad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 20:46
by Foxy

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.