Newbie needs advice on chitting!

• 3 Replies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« on: January 14, 2007, 22:13 »
1st of all Hi Guys (and Girls). I've been reading for a few weeks now after getting my allotment and the advice and exp on here is great!

I have slowly been clearing my plot (what a mess!)  :cry:
and have decided to start off simple with things we all eat at the madhouse. Spuds, carrotts, onions, brocolli and some butternut squash. (and maybe some other bits depending on how adventurous I get.)

Anyway back to the point, I ordered some 1st earlies (Pentland javelin 2.5kg) and some maincrop (Sarpo mira 2.5kg) from a well known company online (very expensive), when I saw that Wilkos had some 3kg bags for £2.99 so I bought a 3kg bag of Rocket (v 1st earlies) as well. Now I have around 130 seeded potatoes - think maybe I over did it!  :oops:

I have today started to chit the 1st earlies (all 83 of them) and need a bit of advice. Firstly is it too early only I haven't seen any threads from others who have already statred. Am I best picking out the larger stronger ones and weeding out the smaller weaker ones as I go. (Not sure how much space they will all take) Do I chit the maincrop yet as well  - the packet says plant out in April/May and it seems like a long time till then.  If not how should I store them in the meantime.

I also did some onion seeds last week which are on the conservatory window but couldn't resist buying a pack of white and red sets from Wilkos as well (Well they were only £1 each for 500gs). Now I'm thinking I need a few acres to fit all this stuff in. Oh dear!  :shock:
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 22:30 »
dont start yet in my book , rub off any that have come , store at 5 c until end feb  start to chit then ,i think the winter is not here yet and you may suffer if you start now
still alive /............

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56 »
Ok. Does that go for all of them? The packet says for first earlies unpack immediately and place in a seed tray / egg carton etc? I am also worried however about the weird climate we are currently experiencing and wondering if a harsh end to winter is due? It was sunny and mild yesterday in Lancs and we have yet to experience a real frost? Anyway Thanks - I will follow your advice!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 08:29 »
to chit or not to chit that is the question. I didn't at all last year and they were perfect. Plus I have read/heard that is actually makes no difference.. :D

xx
Chitting Advice

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 12:34
by Rexmundi
xx
Potato chitting advice please

Started by Hawkins on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 19:47
by MARROW HEAD
xx
Spud chitting advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 08:54
by mumofstig
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by akexi1207 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:59
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.977 seconds with 36 queries.