RIP cowshed girls

• 31 Replies

too many girls

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 14:07 »
thought i'd best edit that last but one.

birdiegirl

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 15:03 »
I'm really, really sorry to read this, TMG  :(  So sad.
I dont know what to say - but I can imagine that my rage would be.... *huge*

peggyprice

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 15:14 »
I can't begin to imagine how angry you must feel TMG; especially after your obvious pleasure at having rescued your girls.  I guess it's a salutory lesson for us townies about the reality of country living.

Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

too many girls

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 16:39 »
it happens in towns too peg, this forum is full of people who have lost their chickens to foxes, i've only had mine for just over 2 weeks but i'm  inconsolable and fuming , they were so enjoying their freedom and we got so much pleasure from watching them and it's been cut short, we'd have kept them till they died from old age and not cared if they never laid another egg, after the miserable life they had before it's so unfair.

Porffor

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 17:05 »
I'm so so sorry. :( makes you realise just how cunning they are and that the video that was posted is all too true. :(
I'm so sorry you've lost so many, but truly hope some got away and come home in time. :(

At least they saw some quality of life.. little comfort i know. :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 17:19 »
Jim's fox video post suggested that the fox will bury carcases given the time to do it.

too many girls

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 17:32 »
I don't think this fox will have time to bury anything, Sam's all togged up in his older brothers combat gear, he looks as if he's about to depart for afghanistan, i think before long mr fox will be looking down the business end of a gun, we have been told to leave one carcase out on open ground and put the remaining ones in the freezer ( not sure if i like that idea) then if Sam doesn't manage to get a clean, clear shot, he can wait till another time with another carcase.

Kate and her Ducks

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 18:23 »
Really hope you get him. Know its in a fox's nature to kill but a spree like this is not natural and a product of artificial circumstances as that video clip talked about and it is our nature as just another animal to protect what we care about and what is ours and he has to die to prevent him taking anymore of your girls. Good luck and again I'm really sorry and sending big hugs.

I also felt really guilty when two of mine were killed because I had underestimated the risk predators posed and hadn't protected them enough. My heart really goes out to you and we learn for the future. :cry:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 19:28 »
What video  :?:

Kate and her Ducks

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 19:30 »
See the proper reporting thread.

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 20:11 »
OK Cool, yeah saw that this morning on another forum  :oops:  ooopps was I supposed to say that !!

too many girls

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 10:15 »
we've come to the conclution that the fox must be living in the wood, we have searched in there but it's vast and in some places inacessable, Sam went out  last night  ( about 8 o'clock) to place one of the carcases on the 3rd thistle up in the big field (visible from the kitchen window) suddenly he stopped, shouted chicken, dropped the carcase and ran off, we were in hot pursuit (me in slippers, pip in flip flops) in the pouring rain, we thought he'd seen one of the missing girls, turned out he'd seen the fox (he thought it was a chicken because he could only see it's head) anyway by the time we returned to the house and had a look out the window there he was ( the fox) taking the carcase, we'd only turned our backs for a nano second,  we're doing the same thing tonight but getting a pro called Russel to do the shooting ( we can't afford to miss with a shot because he'd only move on, returning the minute i let my girls out) and the only solution to the problem is to kill the fox,  we transfered the hen house girls to a stable (more room for them) last night, the fox has taken more than we originally thought, there were only 26, we did a head count on sat and they were all accounted for, if you include lonely, the remaining cockerel and the hen that doesn't like sleeping in either the hen house or the cowshed, out of 68 birds we have 29 left, it's very depressing, and i'm feeling low. :(

peggyprice

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 10:44 »

Vember

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59 »
Oh TMG that's so sad :cry:

Really hope you get Mr F tonight

I know it's easier said than done but try & remember the fact those birds had a really good life for a short while, I know you were hoping for longer but they did at least experience a life of luxury some don't get that chance :(

Big huge ((Hugs)) to you an your family during this difficult time

Take Care

Vember X

too many girls

RIP cowshed girls
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10 »
just spoken to Russel Peg, he's not in the least bit suprised that i've lost so many birds in one go, or that we think the fox is living in the wood, he said it's likely to be a dog fox and he's taking the carcases back to his vixen and cubs, if that's the case he said the only option would be for him to track the fox, find the den and destroy the whole family, if we don't then the vixen will take over the killing followed by the cubs when they are mature enough to hunt for themselves, he said if you find the den then you'll find your missing hens, i'm not keen on the idea of killing fox cubs, he said he can't track the fox tonight because the rain will have destroyed any trail, but we're to leave a carcase out for the fox to take tomorrow and he'll track him tomorrow night. Think pip and i will have to go out tomorrow night, as i don't want to be here, what time does Asda shut?

xx
My two new girls.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 09:42
by andreadon
xx
Do girls do this?

Started by slowef on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 00:09
by djt
xx
my girls

Started by Gareth J on The Hen House

41 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 20:33
by joyfull
xx
New Girls

Started by Louise on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 21:11
by Selkie

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 36 queries.