Greenhouse problems

• 15 Replies

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« on: June 17, 2008, 19:00 »
Very new to greenhouse keeping and my plants seem quite unhappy - happily not all are unhappy - If you've got a mo can you take a look at this photo set over on flickr (hopefully the link will work I've not tried this before)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27746093@N04/sets/72157605663343732/Greenhouse Problems

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 19:03 »
It's asking me to sign in...

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 19:30 »
Quote from: "Tigerhair"
It's asking me to sign in...

Updated permissions to public... pls try again

lincspoacher

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 19:52 »
The first and last piccies look like leaf burn cos its too hot for the plant...........

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse problems
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 19:57 »
Hi

I think leaf burn too, we had it happen to our tomatoes - leaves a bit wet - direct sunlight through glass and leaves sunburnt.

Thanks to some advice I gained here I have painted the roof of my g/h with diluted emulsion paint (already have old net curtains on the sides) to keep out the direct rays of the sun - it has done the trick and the toms, cucumbers, peppers and chillies are growing great guns and even with the paint it is still lovely and warm in there.

Hope that helps

cheers

willnbirdie

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse problems
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 20:21 »
Leaf burn coupled with over watering.Had the same earlier this year.

To cure:

Stop watering for a few days then water with a tomato liquid feed. your soil looks waterlogged!!!!
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

gobs

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 20:23 »
I'd go for manganese deficiency. What are they planted in, have you fed them?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 20:43 »
Oh dear - not doing too well really....

I do try not to overwater but sometimes get extra help from the little ones

Planted in general compost

Not fed yet as they have only recently been put in the pots - so I thought  that they would not need feeding yet

I'll try some of the suggestions and see what happens - all part of the learning curve I guess

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way...

gobs

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 20:50 »
Over watering can make certain elements unavailable to plants, take care. :wink:

kezlou

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 20:50 »
Hi Blue,

Not an expert but here goes.
I think you have done the same as i did, i'm a first time grower as well. Its look like water has fallen onto the leaves when you have been watering them and have burnt them like i did. My tomatoes are in normal compost in containers which i think are the same as yours.

To stop the plants from dying i would water the soil 2/3 time on a hot day (cos they are containers, more hungry) as well as open the green house door  / windows to let some air in.

I did this and within two days they were back to the they normal happy selves, all green and healthy looking.

Hope this helps
Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 22:32 »
Managed to get some shade up. Over the past few days the sunlight has been less and some plants have perked up. Others have died. I think the comment about over watering is also true - I will keep a closer eye on that. Agani thanks for the comments - it's hard being a newbie - there really is an awful lot to learn....

dug

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 22:43 »
My neighbour erected a greenhouse in his garden this week end. Naturally I had to hop over the fence and smash it to pieces. :x
 Doesn't the fool know what those things do to the atmosphere?

dug

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:12 »
Quote from: "dug"
My neighbour erected a greenhouse in his garden this week end. Naturally I had to hop over the fence and smash it to pieces. :x
 Doesn't the fool know what those things do to the atmosphere?

dug

:lol: Now you've made me feel really guilty - Wondered what the big pipe out the back was doing

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Greenhouse problems
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 14:39 »
partly because of having all the chooks to look after now, I'm really late in getting all my stuff in polytunnel etc, this Sunday I nearly finished putting my tomatoes in the polytunnel and Brian decided to water them in for me, once Sunday night and again Monday morning, but where I only had a few that looked sad, I've now got about twenty dying on me, do you think is because he watered all over the plants as well, and not just the ground like I do?  Also he keeps shutting the doors as he's got the rotavator and 2 lawnmowers stored on the path and doesnt want prying eyes in there, but then it gets really hot even though he opens the doors early.

Luckily, I've still got loads to put out, but everytime he helps me, something dies!!!!!!

blue_cortina

Greenhouse problems
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 16:44 »
The tomato plants are growing very well now and I think the carefull watering and added shade has helped. 8)

The courgettes are not doing so well
 :?: I was wondering if the greenhouse was actually the best place for then now - or if it was really too hot for them :?:

xx
greenhouse lettuce problems

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 21:23
by sclarke624
xx
Pea problems

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 13:08
by gobs
xx
ant problems

Started by wayne170534 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 09:21
by moose
xx
New veg, old problems...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 01, 2019, 20:02
by Potterer

Page created in 0.752 seconds with 37 queries.