Growing Coriander From Seeds?

• 19 Replies

michelleh

« on: June 17, 2008, 16:34 »
This may sound like a bit of a silly question, but being new I don't know the answer. I have some coriander seeds in my spice rack, can these be planted and grown from?

Also fennel seeds?

Thanks in advance.

noshed

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 16:37 »
Yes but the ones in your spice rack may be a bit old. Try them anyway, you can always get some more.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

michelleh

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 16:42 »
Cumin seeds?

What would be the best way of planting these?

new_2_veg

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 17:57 »
not sure if uk is hot enough for those :?
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

lincspoacher

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 19:48 »
I found this:

International Journal of Agricultural Research 1 (1): 20-24, 2006

Effects of Some Variables on Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.)

M. Khosh-Khui and A.R. Bonyanpour

..." A temperature range between 15 to 25°C found to be the optimum temperature for cumin seed germination percentage. However, the maximum germination percentage (96.25%) occurred at 15°C. Similarly, the maximum germination rate occurred at a temperature range between 15 to 25°C. Optimum seedling growth evaluated by seedling weight and height was increased with raising temperatures up to 20°C. Temperatures higher than 25°C adversely affected both seedling weight and height. Among the five dates of cumin field planting, April 4 was the best planting time. This treatment had significantly shortest emergence time, highest plant height and yield  "

But then I also found this:

Titre du document / Document title
Priming of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seeds and its effect on germination, emergence and storability
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
TAWFIK Azza A. (1) ; NOGA G. (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Institut für Obstbau und Gemüsebau, Universität Bonn, ALLEMAGNE
Résumé / Abstract
Cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seeds were osmotically primed using different types of polyethylene glycol (PEG, 1000, 4000, 6000, and 10.000) solutions at water potentials (Ψ) ranging from -0.14 MPa to -3.4 MPa or in water (0.0 MPa). The duration for priming was 1, 2, 3, and 4 days at room temperature (26 °C ± 1). The untreated seeds served as control. Priming for 2 or 3 days with PEG-4000 or with water was superior to other treatments. Priming seeds with PEG-4000 or water for 2 or 3 days resulted in almost 100% germination while only 35% to 45% of the untreated seeds germinated. The median germination time (MGT, T50) was lowered to 12 days compared to the untreated seeds. The highest percentage of emergence and the greatest shoot length and shoot dry weight were obtained from the seeds primed with water for 3 days. Priming effects were maintained during 30 days of seed storage at room temperature. It is concluded that priming cumin seeds with water is a satisfactory alternative to osmotic priming using PEG. We recommend pre-sowing priming for 3 days with water and planting the primed seeds within 30 days after initial drying for 2 days.

So, soak in water for 3 days then sow at 15°  to 20° seems to be it. But you need to use fresh seeds.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 20:29 »
I just sow them in a pot, in the window sill, no soaking, no probs. Cumin and caraway grow like weed really.

With coriander and dill you better look out for varieties as you get leafy and seed ones, fennel, bulbous and herb use.

Be careful also with fancy cumin names, like black cumin, which isn't, it is usually Nigella seeds.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 21:24 »
Get a huge bag of coriander seeds from your local asian deli, (a kilo bag cost me £1.60) sow VERY thickly in a half inch drill and water well. Do the same each week and in a few weeks you'll be cutting it in huge bunches!
The coriander seed you buy from seed merchants might be very good but you only get about 50 seeds per pack :( I've just sown some more in a raised bed that is 3' wide and I sowed a big handful in each row.
Coriander will go quickly to seed in the heat. They prefer cooler conditions to actually grow well with moderate watering ie once a week. I find the best coriander is the 1st sowing early spring and the last sowing in late august.

deedee71

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26 »
i watched a programme years ago, this bloke grew coriander on his allotment, but he said if you put the seeds on a hard flat surface and gently use a brick to crush the shell of the seed, it's easier for them to germinate.

michelleh

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 14:03 »
Many thanks for all the advice.  I planted some coriander seeds last night (worth a try I thought).

She'sinthegarden

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 15:00 »
Dee Dee 71
Chap on my new lotty site said exactly the same thing and his coriander was fab. He's got it in a bed that wouldn't get full sun all day too.
S.i.t.g.

deedee71

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 20:59 »
some things are worth watching on the telly then lol   :D

busterthehorse

Thanks 'agapanthus'
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:13 »
I found the info from agapanthus particularly useful as I'm growing coriander for the first time and was confused at the amount of seeds I should use, and as to the yield I could expect. Also, I would never of thought of going to an Asian deli for my seeds - what a good idea !!

Herbs do confuse me to an extent having only grown vegetables and flowers previously. For instance - Chives ? One seed one stalk ? or a whole plant ? I would guess one seed one stalk taking into account how many seeds are in a packet ? Is that right ? Parsley, again to achieve a healthy say 6 inch wide plant is that one seedling alone or a number ? I'm sorry if these are very basic questions but if you've never grown them before then you don't know these things ...

gobs

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 04:29 »
One seed, the both. You can leave more together of course, but there is no need.

Chives will bunch, multiply and you can divide them and have millions in years to come.

Parsley will bush out, but will need to re-sow every year. Rather likes damp and shady.

matron

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 09:48 »
I bought some coriander seeds (just herb seeds) and planted them in a pot. When it came to splitting the plants into bigger pots the smell from it was awful. Makes me wonder now what I will use it for.  :?

gobs

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 09:56 »
Quote from: "matron"
I bought some coriander seeds (just herb seeds) and planted them in a pot. When it came to splitting the plants into bigger pots the smell from it was awful. Makes me wonder now what I will use it for.  :?

Like dirty socks, aren't they? :lol:  Hard to go near them.

xx
coriander seeds

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2015, 09:36
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Non bolting coriander seeds

Started by Beachcomber_John on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 10:41
by Beachcomber_John
xx
Ok, whats the secret to growing Coriander ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 17:56
by viettaclark
xx
Growing Veg from seeds

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 18:26
by lanky lurcher

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 36 queries.