What would eat my artichoke plant?

• 6 Replies

Oliveview

« on: June 17, 2008, 09:42 »
I went to water the flower garden this morning (forgot last night :oops: ) and found my artichoke plant gone :shock:   It is (was) growing in the corner of the flower bed, close by are  beetroot and a courgette (seeded from compost!)  the asparagus peas are just along the patch too and they have not been touched.  My neighbour said it was the topo (mole) but they don´t eat plants do they.  We did have a baby rabbit in the garden around Feb time, but have seen no sign of it since.  There were no rabbit droppings by the artichoke plant, there were a few small leaves along the garden, just about 6" away from what is left of the plant :?  The flower veg garden are side by side, so surely if it were a rabbit it would go for the beans etc?
Last week my carnation plant suddenly appeared to have been cut down..... I think it was the painter man who was here, I saw him along the garden  and thought he was getting water from the hosepipe. You could see the plant had been cut with something sharp :x
The garden is fenced and the dogs would bark if someone entered the garden.  
Why just the archichoke and not the rest of the plants?  Not that I want the rest of the plants eaten! :shock:
Pamela

blue_cortina

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:15 »
Fox, would be my guess - might account for the non-reoccurance of the rabbit as well :-(

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 15:10 »
Not a fox- all the hens here (Both ours and the numerous neighbours) are free ranging both day and night-  they would eat a hen first instead of a plant surely and our dogs are close to where the plant was.  Neighbour (who hunts) says there are no foxes in this area.
Pamela

gobs

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 20:42 »
I don't know what, but it is one plant that is promised to be rabbit proof.

Anyhow, you down to mice and rat sorts, as I imagine the dogs would go mad at most else.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

FCG

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 20:50 »
I don't know about you, but my next door neighbours dog goes nuts at anything bigger than an ant!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 21:18 »
I suppose you're absolutely sure that the culprit couldn't be two-legged?  :?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 05:24 »
We have our son and his new girlfriend visiting- they went down to see the hens last night and there was a RAT  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   HOw about that for good a  first impression for girlfriend????
So that might be my culprit.  It ran into the log pile which isn´t far from the artichoke plant (it´s re-growing :D )
Now to find a way to get rid of the rat without killing the hens :(
Pamela

xx
Globe Artichoke - Where & how to plant?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 20:33
by 8doubles
xx
Can I still plant and grow Jerusulum Artichoke (Fuseau) ?

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 00:23
by penninehillbilly
clip
Artichoke

Started by ade1865 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:52
by ade1865
xx
artichoke and oca

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 21:31
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 36 queries.