Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

• 87 Replies

Porffor

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2008, 08:15 »
I have a 1.5 plastic waterer and 2.5 feeder - for 2 hens these lasted about 3 days for water and feeder about a week when full. :)
Just to give you a guideline on changing water etc..

hadn't thought about cider vinegar in there.. but i have the small ones to fall back on too. ;)

As for debit cards.. wise man! :) I had a credit card given to me by my bank and like a fool used it... i learnt the hard way i'll admit, but don't use them at all now. if i haven't got the cash in the bank i don't buy it! ;)

Foxy

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2008, 09:15 »
Quote from: "Vember"
If you want things to sit on you get a goose  :lol:

You wont get much reading done though  :lol:

Oh yeh an they do more than sit  :roll:

Fantastic picture Vember! What a smashing goose! :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28 »
There must be a caption for that photo !  :D

I can think of a couple but I'm not typing them  :)

You've obviously chosen your location well so that you can take on any animal that takes your fancy. Lovely to see many all mixed into one place. Well done vember.

Rob  8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2008, 15:48 »
Vember - What have I told you about these geese pictures, you're not helping the will power :lol:

FCG - perhaps you better come and visit my girls and find out what a racket they make before picking ducks over geese!!! Admittedly not all breeds are as noisy as my campbells (my black girl is very quiet), and my neighbours like the noise - bringing the countryside to Liverpool :lol:
You are of course welcome to visit the ducks anytime, not just to hear how noisy they are!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FCG

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2008, 20:01 »
Where should i put the roosting bar? I plonked it in yesterday but they seem to be reluctant to use it. It's quite far up and to the left in my coop and where it is if they use it they are level with the ventilation grille. Should i move it to the right and or move it lower? I'm just worried they don't have space to flap up there.

Here it is:

And in relevance to the vent & sides

Instructions please! I know a lot of peoples birds like the comertable warmth of the nest box and the floor but i want to maximise their pleasure and placate any natural roosting instinct. But i may be working against myself by making it very comfy with too much bedding.

Oh and Kate i'll probably take you up on that offer, i've got time on my hands and i'll gladly help clean out if you like. And bring bribes for friendliness for the ducks. Thanks for the tips on feeder/drinker size, i've ordered a 2L feeder and 3L drinker for them. And if anyone wants to see my chooks on Mikes ChookCam (TM) i'm in the garden live with a webcam over MSN if you like.

Vember, where are you in north wales? I may come and kidnap that goose around december 21st :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2008, 20:12 »
In most evenings. Slugs are their favourites, none left in my garden :lol:

chickchick

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
In most evenings. Slugs are their favourites, none left in my garden :lol:

kate , ill post you some of mine if you like!!
w have varying types, approx 57 was the last count!

Vember

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2008, 20:23 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"

Vember, where are you in north wales? I may come and kidnap that goose around december 21st :D

I'm on Anglesey but I'd like to see you try, hand reared by moi an very protective, can't you tell how nasty she can be?  :wink:   :lol:
  (if your ever over this way give me a shout kettles always on :) )

Thanks for the comments Rob,
I admitt I am very lucky in the fact I have land and wouldn't have the animals if I didn't :)  Also have a very nice hubby who put's up with constant stream of new 2 and 4 legged arrivals  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2008, 20:33 »
It must be love !!  :D

Mike - I would be tempted to get a piece of 2x1 timber, shamfer or round the corners and just plonk it on the upper tier there. Or you could run it from one side to t'other at that height. I don't think they're too bothered about havign a gap below the perch, if you see what I mean.
As long as they have something high up they can grip their toes round, they seem to be happy. And if they can sit side by side all the better.

That piece of timber is probably a bit small for them to grip on. I've got branches in the run about 1.5" round and they wobble on that.

Rob  :)

FCG

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2008, 20:44 »
Rob do you mean just lay the timber on the upper tier?

Personally i'm just worried about them being able to get up there. Or am i just worrying over nothing?

poultrygeist

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2008, 21:04 »
Yes. But fix it down with something. Or put a slight spacer under it to raise it half an inch. I'm only going by what I've observed ours do. they sometimes sit on the edge of their 'bus shelter' with their toes curled over the edge.

Difficult to say if they can get up without seeing them in there. I would have thought they could flap up, but it may a bit narrow for them.

It's always difficult from photos due to lack of scale or perspective.

You could try a few things and see what they prefer. They will always do what they want rather than what they should. Some birds never roost apparently and come to no harm for it. As long as there's a suitable alternative such as a nest box. But then you'll get dirty eggs first thing.

Suck it and see as they say  :D

Rob  8)

joe96

Re: Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48 »
Hey ive just set up an account im 14 and was wondering were you got te hutch from as i was going to use my rabbit hutch i built with my dad but is to small and coops arew to expensive thanks  :tongue2:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 21:57 »
Hello Joe96 and welcome to the site!

The thread you've posted in was writted back in 2008 so I don't know if you'll get a reply from any of the original posters, but hopefully someone else will be able to advise you where to get a bigger coop to keep your chickens in.

By the way, it would be very helpful if people knew your location so they can suggest places nearby.  Here's how to add your location to your profile:
Go to Profile (near the top left of each page)
Click on Modify Profile/Forum Profile Information
Scroll down to Location and add your location there.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 22:02 by Lindeggs »

xx
Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

Started by FCG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:24
by Porffor
xx
Will a rabbit hutch do....

Started by ness on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 20:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
can i keep quails in a rabbit hutch?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 16:57
by ehs284
xx
Can I use a Rabbit Hutch as a Hen House?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

74 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 19:27
by Porffor

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 37 queries.