pumpkin question

• 6 Replies

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
pumpkin question
« on: June 16, 2008, 20:55 »
hi all ive got a nice pair of pumpkin plants growing on the lottie at the mo.
they have just both given a female flower(as yet unopen) and there are what looks like a few male flowers forming where the stalk enters the soil .
basicly im looking to grow the biggest pumpkin i can so is it best to keep it to one fruit per plant.what can i feed it and when
any help would be great.
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
pumpkin question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:43 »
To feed use a food high in potasium, tomato food is good once the fruit appears, Its best to keep two fruits on, they will abort without notice, once it looks happy you can nip the smaller one off. Give them loads of water, they are pretty thirsty beasts once fruiting.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
pumpkin question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 19:29 »
Thanks aidy.
I shall follow your kind advice,
Im expecting one of the plants fruit to be bigger ,the strain is called Atlantic Giant,for one of the plants i dug massive hole, and filled it with 70 litre bags of my home 3yr old compost  i used 8 in total the other is just planted inl soil so it will be intresting to see if there is any difference insize of the fruits.

FCG

pumpkin question
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 21:20 »
Is it possible to grow good sized pumpkins in containers? I'm talking very large containers. Say the size of an A3 paper and A4 in depth (i'm hopeless in guessing sizes)

I'm amazed at how much compost you put in for 1 pumpkin plant! Good luck, i hope it doesn't turn out like my last attempt in the ground, i had one fruit at golf ball shape and the plant snapped.

compostqueen

pumpkin question
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 23:38 »
A dustbin size is good  :D   if the pot is too small it will just be pulled over by the weight of the plant hanging down.  Those builders rubble sacks are ok for pumpkins  :D

FCG

pumpkin question
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 03:13 »
/me falls over.

There is me thinking i'm going to get a nice small pumpkin from literally washing up bowls for containers.

I must be mad! Ah well, perhaps i can transplant them into the ground. How well do they grow in the shade?

If not, i know what is going to be fed to my new chooks as a treat!

gobs

pumpkin question
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:25 »
Like sunflowers.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
pumpkin question

Started by Hadakare on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2015, 03:10
by Beekissed
xx
pumpkin question

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 14:59
by lordthanatos
xx
Pumpkin Question

Started by saggy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 12:16
by power_of_p3
xx
Pumpkin Question

Started by RsT on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:28
by JayG

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 36 queries.