Shelf life of tomato feed?

• 9 Replies

Hampshire Hog

« on: June 13, 2008, 17:00 »
I have found some very old liquid (concentrated) tomato feed in my garage and am thinking of using down the plot. Does anyone have any ideas about likely shelf life? I assume that contents could potentially change over time but question is by how much and whether there could be any negative effects.

Appreciate any thoughts  :?

Cheers HH
Keep digging

gobs

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 20:14 »
It says 2 years plus, it's quite stable unless gets frozen.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

lincspoacher

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 20:45 »
if it degrades it just becomes useless, i never heard of out of date feed doing any harm.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 22:15 »
Thanks I'll give it a go

Cheers HH :D

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:27 »
Interesting question. I found some old stuff for various uses in dad's shed when he died and wondering how old they must be, I realised that none of the things I had bought for the garden had any 'use by dates' on them either.

Fungicide, bug spray, fertilisers, weed killer, tree wash, rooting powder and so on. They could have been years old even when I bought them!

I do not use a lot of this sort of help. It has to be an emergency resulting in a variety of half used bottles in the shed.

Asking the experts on the allotment site they said to try them, if I needed them, they would be all safe to use. At worse they would loose their effectiveness. Must admit, I was worried that some chemical change may have happened.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 15:07 »
If the chemicals are quite old (10 yrs+) and/or the containers are rusty or difficult to open, then do not use them. Chemicals destabilize over time and change formulation. The degrading container is a good indication that the contents have altered due to age, humidity, etc. Dispose of them with a safe toxic disposal site rather than binning them.

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 21:15 »
The containers are all plastic so rust is not a problem.

I have no idea what a 'safe site' for disposal is. In the past, everything went in the dustbin, at present our council say 'if it wont recycle stick it in the grey bin'.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 21:30 »
Some of the older insecticides, etc were in tins, but not all. The plastics, however, will start to degrade as well and one day simply collapse, so plastic is no guarantee either. When you have both container and contents starting to degrade, you've got a serious problem on your hands.

Does the UK not have occasional 'toxic waste removal' days for such things as old paints, vegetation killers, solvents, used motor oils, etc? Call your local authorities to see if such days exist, often 1-2 days a year. It really is criminal to be sending such stuff to common landfills.

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
old chemicals
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 21:37 »
The chances are they are products which are no longer available to the general public.
A lot of the insectcides and treatments for virus's are not available.
Not because they didnt work but for various reasons such as possible misuse or getting into water courses etc.
So I reckon your pretty fortunate to come upon them. Only use them sensibly.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 21:55 »
No we do not have a local toxic waste removal. But unused medicines we can take to the local chemist (pharmacy) for safe disposal.

We have a brown bin (for garden waste) a blue bin with a yellow lid for plastic, a blue bin with a black lid for glass. then we are told to put out cardboard  boxes with tins(cans) in. The next week we are told to put out everything else in the grey bin.

There is such a long list of things which go in this bin not in that bin, more than half the people are totally confused and just shove it all in the grey bin Or hope that they have got it right by putting in which ever bin they think is right.

The local council have contracted out collections. The staff employed are on a job and finish contract Need I say more?

xx
Seed shelf life.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 08:04
by Kristen
xx
Vegetable Shelf Life

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 08:12
by mumofstig
xx
Lettuce Seed shelf Life

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:06
by Paul Plots
xx
seed shelf life, was'nt there a thread somewhere relating to

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 16:11
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 28 queries.