Typical Hen Prices ?

• 58 Replies

Vember

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 16:51 »
Roughlee what lovely looking girls

Really like the markings on the Amber Rocket :)

Have you thought of names yet?

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2008, 21:07 »
Thanks Vember.  I was asked was there any I liked and she stood out and said her.   They are not egging yet but they look very nice.  I have not named them.  I am trying not to as once you named them  they tend to cark it, or is that me?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2008, 21:14 »
Some of our Amberlinks are getting their browny feathers too now, same family as your Amber Rocket Roughlee!

And the browny coppery one looks like our Babcocks!

Vember

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2008, 21:15 »
That's just you!

Get them named, they'll lay quicker if you give them a name and don't refer to them as:   her, she, it, that one and oi  :lol:

An the Amber looks she should be called Ruby :D

Kate and her Ducks

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2008, 21:15 »
Lovely lovely chooks. So nice to see them being kept the way they should after a number of recent upsetting disappointments :lol:
Always good to know about the good guys as well as the ones to avoid like the plague :shock:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 21:22 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Some of our Amberlinks are getting their browny feathers too now, same family as your Amber Rocket Roughlee!
Must just be one big supplier out there!! She looks lovely she was the most striking of the lot.

Quote from: "Vember"
That's just you!  
Get them named, they'll lay quicker if you give them a name and don't refer to them as:   her, she, it, that one and oi  :lol:
An the Amber looks she should be called Ruby :D

Ruby? mmmmm OK I will try to remember that.  It may change when her personality comes out.

Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Lovely lovely chooks. So nice to see them being kept the way they should after a number of recent upsetting disappointments :lol:
Always good to know about the good guys as well as the ones to avoid like the plague :shock:

The difference is quiet amazing between the good guys and the bad!!!

FCG

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 00:45 »
Very nice roughlee, who served you? Did you get the woman who looks like ellen mcarthur?

podgyhodgy

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 02:03 »
hello all,
podgyhodgy is the name but you can call me podgy if you like.  First post about chickens so I hope this is an appropriate place.

bought my first hens in 20 years last wednesday at hereford market poultry auction.  bought 5 pol amber stars for £5 each (with buyers premium and vat more like £6.50).  Met the lady selling them as i was transferring them to my own box from hers and she told me they were 23 weeks and already laying.  Well, got them home about 1.30 and by 5 oclock had 4 eggs in a cardboard box which the bantams (see below) came in which i had left lying under a table in the run.  Have had 4 or 5 eggs every day since.  How lucky am I?

Also bought (unplanned) 3 black and 2 patch young andalucian bantam pullets. £2.50 + bp + vat for the black ones and £1.50 each the patches.  chicks can be had for 20-50 pence each and fertile eggs for £1 a dozen.  incubator £20 to £25.

Will write some more with some pics asap.  Back to the market on wednesday for a couple more though.....

I've had £50 worth of enjoyment out of them already.
cheers!

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 08:12 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
Very nice roughlee, who served you? Did you get the woman who looks like ellen mcarthur?

Mmm now you come to mention it she did look like ellen.   Wondered what had happend to her, thought she was on a desert Island!!!!!!!!!

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"

Just a question do you know when your Amberlinks and Babcocks start laying?  These girls are 16 weeks old.

GrannieAnnie

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 15:35 »
The first Amberlinks we raised were POL on 12th January.  The first one started to lay at 21 weeks, but some were 26 weeks, but I think that could be something to do with the fact they were raised through the winter with the shorter daylight hours.

Whereas the Babcock's are 17 weeks tomorrow and because they were reared during the lengthening days, I'm hoping they will start laying earlier!  People who have bought them keep in touch and are going to let me know when they start to lay.

Mind you, the Goldlines and Amberlinks we bought last September were about 25 weeks when they started to lay.

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 15:39 »
Thanks for that information Grannie.  Not that its a problem at the moment.  I am getting four eggs aday and every couple of days getting 5.  Oh one thing I noticed over the weekend the one or two of the  X batts certainly make a noise when laying.  Mind you I think I would if I layed an egg.

GrannieAnnie

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 17:09 »
When you see the size of some of the eggs Roughlee, I'm not surprised they squawk!!!!! lol

Our little Rosie who doesn't know if she's a girl or boy, has started to make egg laying noises.  She did it last night from the other side of the conifers.  Well me and the dog went through to see if she was a secret egg layer, but couldn't see anything!  She is one of them who got to POL in January, but she's a throw back.  she isn't an Amberlink as she has yellow legs.  I think they stuck a Bovans white chick in to make up the numbers!!!! lol

Roughlee Handled

Typical Hen Prices ?
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21 »
Fingers crossed she will lay soon for you. I have had to set up three feeders as the new girls keep being chased off the feed by the other five.  I had a cunning plan on Sunday.  The run (when its set up as a run for newbies) is long and thin.  With the muck heap being at the far endish of the run I have left the end open and the established girls wander off to the muck heap eat come back to the coop and drink and eat and then back to the muck heap.  Not that i have been sat watching for hours.  The newbies do not go far from the coop so this gives them some rest bite from the constant bullying. I do like chickens.  The eggs are just a plus to it all.

xx
Typical!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 03:11
by hillfooter
xx
egg prices

Started by blackbob on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 10:25
by blackbob
xx
Egg Prices

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 19:28
by flatcap
xx
poultry prices

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:26
by jimroden

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.