Sonic Fox Deterents

• 63 Replies

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
Sonic Fox Deterents
« on: June 12, 2008, 13:08 »
Hello lovely people. I am new to this forum, but have lurked a bit and picked up lots of useful information.  

I am currently building a chicken coop, and my eye was caught this morning by a sonic fox deterent.  We have foxes around, and so I know this is going to be an important thing when we finally get our chooks. (I hope in about 3 weeks, I am sooo excited!).  

Anyway, do these sonic thingies work?
Sue

Slatz

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 13:23 »
One of these sonic thingies will do the job.  You might want ear defenders though.

compostqueen

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 13:25 »
well I bought one and have had it in use for a while and no foxes but then I've never actually seen a fox in the immediate area, but as we back on to open fields I thought it best to get one

Maybe someone here will have had more experience of fox problems than I and will be better to advise you.

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 13:26 »
Mmmmm... thanks Slatz, yeah I would be happy to do that an' all but I do live in a semi. Not sure the neighbours would be very understanding. Depends how many eggs I give them I guess.

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 13:30 »
Quote from: "Slatz"
One of these sonic thingies will do the job.  You might want ear defenders though.

Ohhhh nice - Is that a Winchester ? Looks like mine  :D

blossom1044

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 15:05 »
slatz - I agree.  Having had my 4 birds killed by the beastly fox - shot in the head is the only cure.  We've only got a very good 22 compressedairgun which though good for rats/squirrels, not effective on the fox!  

I'm going to dig and dig in the wire round our new pen as deep as I can.  Before we had a moveable pen which the fox upturned and killed the lot!  the thing was heavy as it was a 6-8 bird house!  I think it'd dug a small opening and then used its body weght to heave it over.

Learnt my lesson.  I was intrigued by the sonic things, but I have dogs, so not sure if harm them!  spoke to chicken farmer and he said electric fencing and digging deep wire and a good solid high fence if you are free ranging, but a LARGE pen is another good idea with deep dug in wire plus electric fence if can get it.

PS dogs are no where near the grass/chicken area as this is in a sectioned off garden part, so I know it wasn't our lazy mutts.
new to hens
Thanks
T

mumsy

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 16:58 »
Hi
As Babe is on holiday I will answer for her.................
she had these & the fox still got in.............
So she definatley would say do not waste your money.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 17:23 »
I'm sure Babe still recommends them, she said the fox that got in was deaf  :roll:

I have had a FoxWatch for 3 years and I believe it has kept our local fox out of my garden.  It goes through the neighbours garden instead.

They don't worry dogs as the are set to the fox's hearing pitch which is a little higher than a dog's.  I have a friend with dogs and a FoxWatch and there dog is completely unbothered.

As most people here know I have an eglu and the run there is pretty fox proof. Strong weld mesh (don't use chicken wire) with a 10" skirt which the fox can't work out.  Have a look on the Omlet site for a good idea of how it works !

peggyprice

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 21:45 »
And by the way, WhatCameFirst (good name  :wink: ) - welcome to the forum  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

henpecked

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 21:54 »
How is the eglu run fox proof??? All I can see is the 10 inch skirt...how does the dig proof bit work...in other words, is there anything underground or is it only the 10 inch bit????  :?  :?  :?

poultrygeist

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 22:49 »
I think the idea is that they will dig next to an obstruction, but won't step back a foot to dig.
This is as I understand it.

I think you're always better to keep the fox out rather than try to kill it for following its instincts, but just my opinion.
They will only kill an animal to eat and if you can make it hard enough, I hope they will look for an easier meal.
Difficult if they free range but I think that's where the foxwatch and electric fence come in.
As has been said before, if they're hungry, they are very determined.

Rob

peggyprice

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 22:55 »
There is certainly a strong argument for training your local fox to stay away (with electric fencing etc) rather than killing it, which thereby leaves a vacuum to be filled by another fox which then needs killing as well and so on ad infinitum.  

Plus of course if like us you live in a city shooting things isn't really an option - likely to find yourself in the company of the police helicopter and the armed response squad if you try it  :shock:  :shock:  :lol: :?

But I haven't (yet) seen the effects of a fox, so I can understand that if you have you may not feel so tolerant  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 23:24 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
I think the idea is that they will dig next to an obstruction, but won't step back a foot to dig.
This is as I understand it.

You've got it Rob,  They just don't realise that they need to move back by a foot or so.  You can peg the run down with screw in pegs for extra security too.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 23:28 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

I think you're always better to keep the fox out rather than try to kill it for following its instincts, but just my opinion.
They will only kill an animal to eat and if you can make it hard enough, I hope they will look for an easier meal.

Not quite true Rob.  They will kill the entire flock and only take one bird away to eat.  They kill in a frenzy because their instinct tells them to kill any animal that is acting like a prey animal, and that means as many as they can get hold of.

poultrygeist

Sonic Fox Deterents
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 23:36 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Not quite true Rob.  They will kill the entire flock and only take one bird away to eat.  They kill in a frenzy because their instinct tells them to kill any animal that is acting like a prey animal, and that means as many as they can get hold of.

True. I was a bit too brief  :oops:
There was a comment (maybe on another thread) that foxes kill for fun and I didn't want any misconceptions. They are hungry. They often have cubs to feed and will kill for food. I wouldn't attack anyone for feeling hatred towards them but, and hopefully I won't change my mind, I would rather keep one out than kill it.
I didn't mean to play down the damage they do to a flock or the distress felt.
Rob

xx
Sonic the Chicken

Started by Moby1 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 19:17
by Fat Hen
xx
Sonic Cat/Dog Fox repellers

Started by guppy02 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 14:40
by jo40
xx
Sonic deterrent?

Started by mothership on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 09:06
by alancane
sad
My poor little sonic the chicken attacked by family dog, will she live!

Started by detox on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 19:09
by Rubellite

Page created in 1.032 seconds with 37 queries.