Wrong Compost causing plants trouble?

• 5 Replies

ldavison10

« on: June 12, 2008, 12:24 »
Hi,
It seems that some of the compost I bought earlier this season whilst just starting out doesnt agree with the plants.
Several plants that were all planted in the same compost all look a little ill. When I water these particular plants the water flows straight through and out, I cant see how any stops in the pot. They do seem very dry all the time. When you examine the compost it is very coarse and woody. Its consistency looks more like wet black sawdust than compost. Ive had so many different brands of compost that I couldnt tell you where its from.
Do you think its worth repotting these plants? If so do i keep the woody compost then put in a larger container of new good stuff, or should I just water them more frequent, maybe get a saucer under each pot?

Thanks
Lee

beansticks

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 13:04 »
HI Lee, any compost that has dried out is very difficult to get  absorbent again,however you could try standing the pots in a bowl of water and let the compost absorb the water from below.Failing this re-pot them.If  the first option works give them a liquid feed when the compost is moist.

lincspoacher

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 16:05 »
Wetting is a major problem in dry compost, so much that commercial composts usually contain a wetting agent.

You can get at some garden centres a compost wetting additive , but the best strategy is to repot the plants then submerge the compost in water until it wets up.

Funilly enough, its a problem that has plagued the manufacture of Coir Compost this year. Coir, or Cocoa Shell Fibre, come is highly compress, highly dessicated block, and normally you just leave them stacked outside in an open concrete bay all winter, and they wet up and expand. This year, there has been a shortage of coir based compost because the winter was too dry and the coir didnt wet up.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 16:31 »
I am by no ways an expert but I know what you mean by pots drying out, even when watered each day here, think its the sea wind.  So this year by accident I found adding a bit of John Innes.  I have used no1 for the seedlings and No 2. for potting on. It really seems to retain the water.  Think it must be the grit and sand bits in it.  In a three foot trough I only use little less than a quarter to the other compost.  But the troughs look much wetter.  I put some in bottom and some on top.

Wether its the right way to do it or not I don't know but I haven't lost any plants or veg yet.  Think it contains peat though which upsets some people.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

lincspoacher

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 16:37 »
The only other thing you can do is mix some hydrolecea into it, that will keep moisture in the body and it will wet up eventually.

yea theres a lot of tree hugging bs talked about peat. As a country we only harvest 2% of the allocated peat bog each year, and they can easily replenish themselves at that rate. People just get  so uptight and irrational about anything to do with the environment, sometimes

Thanks, Montano.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 16:43 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
The only other thing you can do is mix some hydrolecea into it, that will keep moisture in the body and it will wet up eventually.

yea theres a lot of tree hugging bs talked about peat. As a country we only harvest 2% of the allocated peat bog each year, and they can easily replenish themselves at that rate. People just get  so uptight and irrational about anything to do with the environment, sometimes

Thanks, Montano.

plus the % of that % that is used for 'gardening' is very small too, the majority used as fuel
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
Trouble with courgette and gherkin plants

Started by Handy Andi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 22:25
by angelavdavis
xx
anyone had any trouble with plants from Dobbies this year?

Started by Brewers on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 22:20
by cricketwidow
xx
Compost bin trouble..

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 22:49
by Dandelion
xx
Help - whats wrong with my potato plants?

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 11:03
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 2.043 seconds with 36 queries.