chickens & Rabbits

• 10 Replies

blossom1044

chickens & Rabbits
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:07 »
Now bugs bunny is allowed to have a run on the grass.  We had chooks on their too, but can they put in pen together as a 8ft by 3ft for the 4 chooks and 4 by 4 for the rabbit is taking up a fair bit of our 22ft by 22ft of small grass.  my poor son has no grass to play on when they're all out.  He ends up on the 60x20 bit of concrete with his pedal bike and sand pit in disgust.

anyway - can we put chicken and rabbit together for the day time only?

Both in runs as we have 2 dogs who aren't bothered by either, but we get foxes too.  Don't have chooks as fox got them boo hoo. as per previous posts been working on a better enclosure for new chooks.
new to hens
Thanks
T

Vember

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:28 »
I've had my pet rabbits and my hens running about togeather in the same run and they got on fine no problems.

I did also treat rabbits for flea's etc incase they could pass anything on to the hens, but they lived quite happily togeather :)

Welcome to the Hen House BTW blossom :D

blossom1044

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34 »
Vember

thanks.  Bugs is treated regularly.  Dogs and rabbit are done at regular and same intervals.  I was doing the chooks, but not done anything obviously since the horrid fox got them. grr

violet

• Experienced Member
chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 13:42 »
I think you should be fine... I am a total novice at keeping both.  I have three hens and three rabbits....they are all loose during the day but have access to their "houses" if they want shelter...as I type the rabbits are eating the corn that I have put out for the hens and two of the hens are inside the rabbit hutch eating whatever is in the combination rabbit food mix!!! :roll:

So although I only have a couple of months experience at the moment I am thinking... should I have just bought a big shed and put them all in together?  I have three rabbit hutches for sleeping in ...sometimes they sleep one in each and sometimes all three in one!  I just shut the doors.

Fannyann

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 15:53 »
i have two chooks in one run and a rabbit in another and was wondering the same thing, although our rabbit is a real digger and escape artist!

have considered putting both in together but was worried about them eating each others food.

henpecked

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 18:22 »
My chooks have a big shed and quite a large run (about 12'x15') so this thread has got me and OH thinking. Our bunny doesn't really get to run around since we've lived in this house, however we have our six chooks on the allotment (30 secs away) with all that space!

Hmmmmmmm think bunny wunny might be moving tonight  :?

Porffor

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 21:19 »
Do you think it'd work with guinea pigs? We have 2 guinea pigs :) and 2 chooks..

Welcome Blossom! :)

Vember

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 21:22 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
Do you think it'd work with guinea pigs? We have 2 guinea pigs :) and 2 chooks..

Welcome Blossom! :)

I had 2 Guinea pigs (died last year) but up until then they too lived happily along side the rabbits, chickens & ducks  on occasion would find them tucked up with my bantys  :lol:

Porffor

chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 21:27 »
Awww! :) how cute that pic is Vember! :) I'll have to see about guinea pig proofing our run when we revamp things. :) it'd be handy for shade etc as we are always moving their run around to keep a section in the shade. :)

ness

• Experienced Member
chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 21:32 »
Hi
Just a word of warning - I let my 2 bunnys and 3 hens free range together round our garden and they got on fine for several months until one of my hens went broody - when she came out for food she would attack my rabbits if they happened to be in between her and the hen house. :roll: Unfortunately my boy rabbit (Rupert) took offence to this and would have a go back with fur and feather flying  :shock: .  I split them up at this point.  
On a happier note Rupert recently died (thats not the happy bit, old age not chicken related!) and I have got a new boy rabbit (Sidney).  He currently lives in with the chickens because he's only just been neutered and can't go in with my girl rabbit yet.  Both my chooks are raising a chicks at the mo and rabbit and chooks are living harmoniously at the mo.
I'm sure your rabbit and chooks will get on fine but be prepared it can go wrong.  Rupert was a particularly grumpy old man!  :lol:

violet

• Experienced Member
chickens & Rabbits
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:41 »
I think that's the important thing, you never know realy what will happen.....I am enjoying the animals living in harmony bit at the moment.....not sure about prblems that couldarise with eating each others food?  This morning the rabbits and hens were joined by blackbirds,starlings and doves???? Is their potential for disese?  I don't know.

If we have a breakout of violence then they will be seperated...at the moment all is tranquil......... :roll:

xx
Rabbits and chickens

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 16:38
by violet
xx
Hi do Chickens and Rabbits get on?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 12:41
by Chookiechook
xx
Rabbits and Chickens

Started by Arthur_two_sheds_Jackson on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 08:10
by ChristyRose
xx
Chickens and rabbits

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 19:15
by Caralou

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 36 queries.