Hens roosting

• 3 Replies

Janet Dedman

Hens roosting
« on: June 11, 2008, 22:48 »
I am new to chicken keeping and I am wondering why my three girls seem to want to roost as high as possible.  They have a lovely house with a perch - the house is raised on legs so it is about 5' off the ground already.  Instead of going inside up the ramp they perch on the roof, or on the fence (6' high) and tonight I opened the lid of the house to give them more head room when roosting and we found them lined up on the edge of the lid. I know birds normally roost in trees, but I can't supply a tree yet and anyway there is the small problem of Mr Fox -HELP please
Regards Janet

Fire2920

Hens roosting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 23:18 »
Our hens are the same, we have put up plenty perches in the hen house but they just use them as steps to get to the top perch. Then they all huddle on it.

Maybe with no one above them they know they can't be hit by falling poo   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

muntjac

Hens roosting
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:02 »
they will roost when they are ready , if the birds are huddling up they are only  keeping warm its natural for them to climb to the highest perch..also  check the place for draughts ... remember to shut up at night  :wink: ..... mind ours are coming and going with the door open in scotland ,,,,, tuff chucks up here u see  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

Porffor

Hens roosting
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23 »
should perches be the same height then? to have full use? i was planning a low and high perch in our new henhouse, but if it's better i'll put two in the same height.

xx
Hens Roosting

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 14:49
by mumsy
xx
Hens roosting on top of coop!

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:09
by mrs.ploppy
xx
stopping hens roosting in nest box

Started by morganmarni on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 07:04
by joyfull
question
roosting

Started by tweed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:19
by ChristyRose

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.