Hen wont use nesting box

• 4 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Hen wont use nesting box
« on: June 11, 2008, 15:59 »
Have two hens Gertrude and Hilda that are new to me.

Thought they took along time to come into egg production and then found egg remains outside house in the run.

Put this down to the fact that once a piece of string had snapped dropping the pop hole door and effectively locking them out of the house.

Sorted this and seemed to be getting an egg a day in the same nest box.

Eggs varied in size one day big next small so presume girls are laying alternatively as Hilda is bigger slightly than Gertrude.

They also seem to lay middle of day as if I visit early sometimes nothing there.  Yesterday there where no eggs and as this has happened once before thought nothing of it. Today when I go down usual nest box has smallish egg and nest box by it has a smallish egg. Third and final nest box nearest door has nothing. However in the run I found a dirty smallish egg which looked like it had been layed a few days as it looked sun bleached and I had not seen it till now.

If a nest box has an egg in it do the hens go to the next free one. What is wrong with the third nest box I know its near the door but surely must be safer than laying in open.

Any tips to get them laying inside house.

Thanks Alan
NOT ARF !

PJM

hen won't use nest box
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 18:23 »
Hi. My six girls all seem to like the same nest box, although there are four in total to choose from, and it is very common to find 4 or 5 eggs in the one box, unless it is full with 3 broodys. I have found eggs in the run but only when the bob hole had blown shut (it is pegged back now) so I would say just bear with them and see how it goes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hen wont use nesting box
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 18:32 »
Put a couple of golf balls in the nest box and they will want to add to the clutch.

Porffor

Hen wont use nesting box
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 19:45 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Put a couple of golf balls in the nest box and they will want to add to the clutch.

How interesting.. we had two eggs on the first day, but i've been retrieving an egg a day - not long after laying since..
Was thinking maybe only one hen is laying, but pehaps i'm putting the other one off?  :?

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Hen wont use nesting box
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 21:16 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Thanks Auntie.  Will try that. However yesterday had my worse game off golf ever and need to buy some more golf balls first.   :lol:

xx
old hen wont let new ones in!!

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 12:43
by Jones the Search
xx
hen wont lay

Started by olly_62 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:07
by Jeanette
xx
Chooks wont go to bed.

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 01:53
by mohs.ayaz
xx
HELP - They wont eat pellets!!!!!!!!!

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 19:38
by hazelize_uk

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.