Confused about rotation

• 17 Replies

Hawthorne

Confused about rotation
« on: June 10, 2008, 23:20 »
So, reading that I should be planting the overwintering brassicas now, to eat early next year, does that mean that they belong in the crop rotation for 2008 or 2009?

Why, oh why, don't plants read the calendar and make things convenient for all of us  :?

compostqueen

Confused about rotation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 00:02 »
I wouldn't worry. Just plant sommat different in the space vacated by the veg you just dug up  :D  Keep records and photographs, or like me put big reminders on lengths of wood. My memory is appalling  :D

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Confused about rotation
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:29 »
Just try to grow something and enjoy growing.

Rotation is important to farmers with huge fields. With allotments, ours are so close to the one next door and because  we all grow a little bit of everything, the rotation rule, meant to prevent diseases and plagues of pests spreading wont work quite so well. diseases and pests can move that small distance.

Just remember, or make a note of what you grow this year and where, then try to grow something else in that spot next year.

Sometimes too much information too soon can be off putting.

Put that calender on the compost heap, it will do more good as a fertiliser for next year.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Confused about rotation
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:34 »
It's not just pests & diseases though, soil nutrients also come into the equation.

However, as others have alluded to, don't get too bound up by rotation, but don't grow the same crops in the same space year on year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Confused about rotation
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:29 »
when I started out with my plot I looked to make a rotation plan, but life is too short to worry about it, plus I am lazy. i just take photos of where things are this year and won't grown them in the same place next year - simple :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Confused about rotation
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31 »
crop rotation is great to help keep problems minimal, but as said before it only really works properly with fields, where the distances between crops mean pest species have difficulty migrating, and ideally in 'enclosures' where ditches and hedgerows seperate the fields. In that case 3 course (brassicas, roots and legumes) or 4 course (with a fallow field) rotation works well. One a small plot, and especially when overwintering plants are grown, it all becomes a bit too complicated. By all means though do some basic rotation, ie avoid growing the same type on the same patch the following year, but dont get too hung up on it. For me to be able to succesfully use rotation here, i would need a 6 or 7 course plan, which would result in large areas being fallow, not really practical.

These days, if pests are a problem, use hybrids designed to be resistant. And as DD said, remember nutrients are important, a rotation system doesnt mean you can stop using fertilisers (some early farmers did just that and lost crops after a few years), you still need to manure, and add minerals
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Confused about rotation
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 16:52 »
OH wants to grow spuds in a big bed this year (charlottes ready for Christmas) and In getting a big bed for peas ready

Do you think Id be ok to rotate just these two in these beds year in year out? Obviously Ill need to manure for the spuds etc??

Itd make it so much easier when planning the plot long term if I can stick these two in all the time and think about my other smaller beds

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Hawthorne

Confused about rotation
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 17:40 »
Thanks all - I think I'll go for the simple option in this case!

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Confused about rotation
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 23:35 »
Good for you. And if your crops need feeding or any additional nutrients, they are all available in a form which can be mixed with water and put in to the soil with a watering can.

There are just too many people who want to make a simple job seem difficult.

Don't let them get to you.

compostqueen

Confused about rotation
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 23:40 »
don't know the answer to that one Peapod, spuds take lots of nutrients  I think so manure is good.  Hopefully someone will know but I aint got a clue.  I'd be more inclined to move everything round, bit like musical chairs but with veg  :D

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Confused about rotation
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 23:43 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
don't know the answer to that one Peapod, spuds take lots of nutrients  I think so manure is good.  Hopefully someone will know but I aint got a clue.  I'd be more inclined to move everything round, bit like musical chairs but with veg  :D

Why did you bother to reply to a query saying that you 'aint got a clue'?

compostqueen

Confused about rotation
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 23:48 »
so sorry, scuse me I'm sure  :!:

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Confused about rotation
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 23:53 »
You are excused.
Don't do it again.

compostqueen

Confused about rotation
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 23:53 »
all right then, tugs forelock and backs out  :lol:

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Confused about rotation
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 23:57 »
Don't back out, watch where you are going.

It is safer.

BYE

xx
confused about crop rotation.

Started by andtiggertoo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 21:46
by andtiggertoo
xx
Very confused about Tom

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 23:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 36 queries.