Favourite Treats

• 15 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Favourite Treats
« on: June 10, 2008, 20:13 »
I'm sure this have been covered before in the past but since I'm new I hope you don't mind me doing a 'repeater' :lol:

Thought it would be interesting to see what your chickens favourite treats are as I  have found out that they can be quite fussy at times :lol:

My girls go absolutely  bonkers over cooked pasta, especially spaghetti, they probably think its worms(another firm fav) I always keep some in the fridge so if I need to call them or put them to bed I have bribe at hand, they come running when I call them. :D
Katt

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 20:21 »
Dandelion leaves go the quickest in our pen.  I wish I was brave enough to collect slugs from around the garden because those are their favourite.  They chase each other around the pen for those.  :lol:  :lol:

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 20:52 »
My girls love sweetcorn, spaghetti and brown rice best.  Grapes took them a while but they love them now.  Keep trying them with small bits as they get older their taste develops and they seem more open to try new things, mine also love blueberries and strawberries in small quantities (too expensive for large amounts)!  They hate apples though and when I offer some they look at me as if I have tried to poison them!

peggyprice

Favourite Treats
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 20:53 »
Mine love apple!  Very taken with sultanas soaked in cod liver oil as well  :shock:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 21:37 »
Mine like the apple cores rather than the actual apples themselves.  Guess how we found that out  :oops:  :D  :D

compostqueen

Favourite Treats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 00:54 »
raisins  :D

violet

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:59 »
Peaches.... don't actually buy them fir the hens, but if one is starting to get too ripe then they soon deal with it.

Porffor

Favourite Treats
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:06 »
:lol: great reading what all your chooks love. :)
my girls fav is pasta (cooked) and breadcrumbs. :) They weren't used to 'real' food i don't think but are starting to know that something nice hits the ground! ;)

Vember

Favourite Treats
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:29 »
dried meal worms (they'll do anything for them :) ), apple, plum, pear, digestive biscuits, sweetcorn, brown bread, rice, sunflower hearts.

All come in handy for an occasional early bedtime  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Favourite Treats
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:13 »
Tomatos are the definate fave, well that not quite true, slugs are the fave and they find them for themselves. Don't think I've seen more then one or two this year and none of the usual slug damage since I got them (although its a balance against duck damage). Next doors children ingraciate themselves with the ducks by collecting them from their garden and bringing them to mine!!! Not entirely sure how I feel about that. Deciding to interpret it as sweet.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48 »
Mine run after everthing I throw at them but they will literally kill for grapes and blueberries. Yesterday my exotic fruit salad went of in the car and between the goat and the chickens nothing was left. I am still figuring out yet, what they favourites are cause I'm only in the third hen keeping week :)

Kate and her Ducks

Favourite Treats
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 17:40 »
Oh and then there is their insatiable desire for dry cat food. If I'm not careful they're in the kitchen and its gone. To add insult to injury thet'll then have a quick splash about in the cats water.

alibean

• Experienced Member
Favourite Treats
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 18:07 »
Mine just love cooked polenta with a little olive oil !!!

PJM

Favourites?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 18:11 »
Deffo Grapes for mine, although Sunflower hearts are a close second. The Banties have learnt to watch for the Sparrow Mafia to swoop on the seed feeders and start flicking the hearts onto the floor, then it's every girl for herself as they squabble for the spillage :lol:
And my OH gave me a small bunch of grapes to eat in the garden, and 3 of them mugged me before I could get one for myself!

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Favourite Treats
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 19:10 »
Well I've just discovered a new favourite food my girls would kill for.........Cheese strings :lol:

xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury
xx
Treats

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 20:33
by Newbie
xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.