Moving a greenhouse

• 12 Replies

kel28

Moving a greenhouse
« on: June 09, 2008, 19:36 »
Hi I need some advice because I'm getting a bit nervous. I found a greenhouse for sale about an hour away from me the normal dismantle yourself type but what will stop my glass from breaking on the way home bubble wrap ? someone else said tape. I have till Saturday any suggestions
kem

fatbelly

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 20:49 »
I did the same as you earlier in the year.

The way I got the glass home without any breakages was to take a couple of large old sheets and thread a sheet in between each pane of glass and then drive slowly and carefully home.
Make sure you avoid any pot holes or speed bumps and you should be fine.

We got all of our glass home this way and never broke a single pane.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 21:00 »
Don't lay it horizontally.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

camster_factor

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 22:19 »
I did this recently with the help of a friend whom has become something of a dab hand at greenhouse moving, having secured his own second hand and helped a number of friends with theirs.

Best practical tip from him was to bring some rolls of cling film. We took five panes at a time and wrapped them in cling film, top and bottom edge paying attention to the corners. It made it easier and safer to transport them and combined with keeping them near vertical, driving slowly, etc. (all the tips already mentioned, in fact) we got them back to base without a single breakage; particularly surprising as all the glass was fairly old.

lincspoacher

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 22:22 »
when i moved the one i bought, i stacked the panes vertically on the seats, leaning backwards, with a piece of blockboard at the back (to stop the panes flexing and cracking), and then   5 or 6 sheets of newspaper in between each pane.  I was of the opinion that the stack had reached its maximum at 3 inches thick, i felt the pressure on the bottom panel might be too excessive if i went any thicker. i had three stacks, one on each seat, and drove back at a steady 30. Any bouncing on the road was absorbed by the seats and the newspaper. I got all the glass home safely.

kel28

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 22:28 »
Thank you so much not 1 person said stand them vertical and I would never have thought it but i forgot to mention its nearly an hour away but i got 40 min on M25 not good for pot holes or doing 30mph but I am now bit less nervous than what I was Thanks

peterjf

greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 22:43 »
hi there , place each piece of glass between two pieces of news paper , lay them flat , when you get them home stack them on their sides with the newspaper between each pane,

before dismantling the green house mark each corner 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , or if you have a digi camers take a few pics of the green house from the inside , good luck

paintedlady

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:57 »
kel28 wrote Thank you so much not 1 person said stand them vertical

.... So what did DD mean?

Quote from: "DD."
Don't lay it horizontally.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23 »
I took it to mean that prior to coming to the forum, no one else spoken to had mentioned vertical stacking and it was nothing personal!!

Several others on this thread also mentioned it.

Just shows you the place to come.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 14:43 »
I've just dismantled a friend's old greenhouse for my allotment. It was 6x8 and the biggest problem I had was the ridge pole which only just fit in my car and ended up taking a chunk out of my sun visor! My Dad helped dismantle and we put must of the glass in his car and the metal in mine.
We drew a plan of the green house and took photos before taking it to bits and numbered the sections with sticky lables. Hopefully we'll be able to put it back together. Unfortunately it won't be for a while. I wasn't expecting to be offered the greenhouse so there's nowhere th put it until the pumpkins come out.

paintedlady

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 16:15 »
I took it to mean that prior to coming to the forum, .

:oops:   didn't have the volume turned up on the reading glasses.  My mistake....

iwantanallotment

Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 16:23 »

Just shows you the place to come.

Certainly does!
I've spent this afternoon dismantling an old greenhouse which was no longer needed by an elderly gent, and thanks to reading this thread knew exactly how to stack the panes - not horizontally, as my helper was insisting, but vertically "Cos that's what the forum says!"  :lol:
So thanks from me too, we got back with every pane intact  :D

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 16:40 »
I have moved a greenhouse but did have an old estate car, I put all the glass flat in first with cardboard in between each pain, that was the heavy bit, then put the entire frame on top and the ridge tied to the roof bar.
Amazingly did not break anything but did have luck on my side.
I have a small problem; I am going to move my 6x4 shed but only about 6 feet.
I was going to use a long metal bar 8 feet long to ease it bit at a time and do it on my own.
Do not want to dismantle it and have no friends to help.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

xx
Moving potatoes from greenhouse to outside

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 10:01
by thumperrabbit
clip
Moving stuff to greenhouse

Started by cluelessnovice on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2020, 19:08
by goose
xx
Moving Tomato seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 18:12
by mdueal
xx
Moving tomato and cucumber seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2020, 15:16
by OakR

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 36 queries.