Tomato plants 'split'

• 20 Replies

matt80

Tomato plants 'split'
« on: June 09, 2008, 16:18 »
Hi all,
Some of my tomato plants seem to have gone off in two different directions near the top, forming a kind of 'Y' shape. I know youre meant to keep it to one main stalk, is this a problem? Is it likely to be because I didn't pinch out the side shoot(s) in time?

agapanthus

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 16:20 »
This often happens....you can take one off or leave them both on. I would leave it on (should get more flowers this way), but remember to give that particular plant a wee bit more feed :)

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 16:25 »
I'd like to hijack this thread...

Folks over at the weekend and Mum's a tad green fingered so I asked her to pot on some tomatoes to grow in our just built conservatory

A couple of them were Marmade variety and she potted on two that had two or three main stems from the ground up.. looking healthy etc and pretty much equal growth

.. do I leave all the stems on or should I remove and keep one main stem... am leaning towards leaving on unless weight of response tells me otherwise....
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

gobs

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 19:33 »
I have Tigerella doing that at the mo and I'm leaving them to it. Both bushes, I will thin foliage is too dense, but not training them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

matt80

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 20:16 »
So when I stop them (when they have 4 trusses), presumably I will need to stop both shoots?

Can someone also expand on how and how far I should go about getting rid of foilage? There's rather a lot at the moment - but I don't know which leaves to get rid of, what technique to use and how many to do?! :)

Trillium

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 21:47 »
Don't know how the others do it, but I just let the plants keep making all the trusses and toms they like.
As for taking off leaves, start at the bottom and pinch close to the stalks or stems, careful not to take off flowering buds. I'm not sure how far up at any one time you can go, so I do about half the plant, let it recover for a few weeks, then take off an equal amount again, always leaving some at the top.

vegmandan

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 23:28 »
Why would you want to take the leaves off ?

These are the things that provide the energy to make the tomatoes grow surely. :shock:

OK once you have mature toms on the plant then remove old dead leaves to  improve air flow and reduce shade, but to remove good leaves when the plant is still growing seems daft to me.
I may be completely wrong though :shock:

Big Jen

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 23:43 »
I always remove the bottom 2 or 3 leaves to make it easier to water them without splashing the leaves. Later in the season I remove a few leaves to let the sun at the fruit to ripen it. Plants need leaves to provide energy why cut them off :?:
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15 »
I agree with vegmandan and Big Jen.  That's what I've always done with good success.

Gardeningguru

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22 »
Quote from: "vegmandan"
Why would you want to take the leaves off ?

These are the things that provide the energy to make the tomatoes grow surely. :shock:

OK once you have mature toms on the plant then remove old dead leaves to  improve air flow and reduce shade, but to remove good leaves when the plant is still growing seems daft to me.
I may be completely wrong though :shock:

I always understood it was considered wasted energy having too many leaves and letting it producing foilage rather than the plant concentrating on producing the flower buds etc at the business end.  

But each to their own, and whatever produces results is the best way.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35 »
The leaves are the factory of any plant. The fruits won't grow themselves they need the building blocks produced by the leaves.

They leaves do tend to send their products downwards so removing old leaves below the fruit trusses when they are fully developed gets light in to ripen them. and leaving a couple of leaves above the top truss feeds and grows them.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/crops/tomato.asp

Johnny Norfolk

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 15:20 »
If they have 'split' one of them will be the main stem and one will be the sucker. Try and see if one comes between a leaf joint and the main stem , this will be sucker and should be removed. They are easy to miss in the early stages, i have just pulled about 4 off my toms that i should have spotted and missed. its never to late to remove them.
Support The Country Way of Life

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 15:27 »
Tomatoes often do this at the growing point, we are not talking of a leaf axis here.

Snap either off & stick it in a pot to make another plant!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GreenOwl

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 16:32 »
I'm with Aggie, I leave 'em be and treat as 2 plants, ie stop both when they're at the height you want.  I don't bother about number of trusses I just stop them when they reach the top of the supports.

I think I read that the Victorians used to allow one side shoot to grow out from the bottom of the plant to increase the crop so Senrab I'd leave them be as well.

I usually only remove foliage if its looking a bit manky.

Anyway thats what I do.

gobs

Tomato plants 'split'
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 16:36 »
Just about the particular variety, I've never yet felt the need for stopping Marmande, only grown it 3 seasons, mind.

xx
Raspberry plants - do I split them?

Started by ms0118 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 09:43
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato Cane split

Started by bendipa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 19:08
by JayG
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 11:13
by davesellars
xx
Tomato plants - R - Us...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 17:38
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 37 queries.